First time pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

First time pip

Options
benlis10
benlis10 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
hi all 
finally made the call to DWP ,took them 59 minutes to answer , ridiculous amount of time to be on hold but I was determined to not give in 
the lovely gentleman on the other hand was very nice 
just a quick question really in regards to evidence to send in with the form 
I have a letter from the GP explaining my mobility issues and care needs at home 
also backing from my consultant who explains my illness and how it affects me 
however nothing really from OT other than all the equipment/ aids they have suggested and provided and my walking aids 
is that enough? Or should I be gathering more ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The evidence you send should state how your conditions affect your ability to carry out the activities based on the PIP descriptors. If you have a letter from the OT that confirms the aids you have and why then yes send that also.

Alongside the evidence you should fill out the form with as much information about how your conditions affect you. You should also add 2-3 real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

There's very little space on the form so i'd advise using extra sheets of paper. Make sure you add your name and NI number to each sheet you use.

It really does help to have some understanding of what the PIP descriptors mean. So many people think they should score points for activities but it's not always possible because it depends how your conditions affect you. I'd recommend having a read of this guide here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

It's very long but so worth siting down and reading through it while you wait for the form to arrive. This way you'll be ready to fill out the form and understand the descriptors.

If you need extra time to return the form you should ring DWP and they'll give you an extra 14 days to return it. Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them. There's no timescales for waiting times, it depends on backlog in your area.

If a home assessment is needed you can request this on the form but a letter will be needed from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend the assessment centre. However, if you attend other appointments then this can go against you for a home assessment because they could say if you attend other appointments, you can attend the centre.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.