PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Length of pip

brad72brad72 Member Posts: 20 Listener
Hi all, to cut a long story short ive had my pip assessment and sent off for the assesers report, which came last week, basically it looks like i might score enough points to get pip all though dwp have not yet made a decision. The assesser has recommended a reveiw in 2 years, and also ticked the box underneath stating expects my condition to remain the same at reveiw. im a bit confused  what this really means, shoreley if that is the case she should of put longer. Also if i am awarded pip why state an award of 2 years if i will only receive a payment for 12 months. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

A review in 2 years means review in 2 years, in doesn't mean a review in 1 year. If the decision maker goes with the report then your award will be for 3 years.

Once the decision is made, if you're not happy you have 1 month to request the MR, which you should put in writing. You can request the MR for the length of time of the award but you'll need expert face to face advice for this.

There's really nothing more you can do until a decision's been made. Hopefully not too long.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • twonkertwonker Posts: 617 Member
    As has been said above, 3 or 5 years is normal for most people. To get anything approaching 10 years (the maximum) you would have a recognised debilitating condition such as Parkinsons or Motor Neurone and that your issues are either stable and will never improve.
    However for those over 65 it doesn't seem to be that way. Everyone is supposed to be awarded 10 years even if they don't have a serious condition and might get better within 3/5 years. It will be up to the claimant to tell the DWP to have the award reduced instead. Ridiculous in my opinion

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,970 Disability Gamechanger
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-1-the-assessment-process#prognosis see 1.10.

Oh and http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2018-1113/UIN_174062_-_Award_period_guidance_10.10.18.pdf

There is no “normal for most people”. The intent is to make the shortest award possible. A person with a stable condition may or may not get a review. A person with a stable condition with no prospect of improvement may still get a short award if their current award is at the standard rate. This is because in theory DWP would want to set a date to look at whether enhanced rate might be appropriate. In practice of course many such reviews end up wrongly removing entitlement and it’s a bonkers aporia here because most with a deterioration would report it under their own steam without needing DWP to check in on them. 

As the second link above shows the contents of the post by @twonker is not correct. It is simply not the case that all over 65 would get light touch reviews. 

There are 2 reasons to assert this. 1 is that the guidance clearly does not say that and 2 is that 65 has long since ceased to be pensionable age. Pensionable age varies by person and date of birth. 

Sign in or join us to comment.