PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

DWP Calling your Home after Tribual win

WobblyGregWobblyGreg Member Posts: 11 Connected
A few weeks back I won my Tribunal Appeal against DWP and was awarded Standard rate care and mobility (after previously being on full rate DLA).

Yesterday I received call that my daughter answered saying DWP wanted to discuss my appeal .
I checked last number called and it said called withheld number ?

They were men t to ring back but haven't .
Is this normal few weeks after for DWP to do this ?

Replies

• wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,182 Disability Gamechanger
    @WobblyGreg, I would phone DWP and enquire about the odd phone call for your own piece of mind. 
  • davetdavet Member Posts: 74 Courageous
    like wobblygreg I too would ring the DWP making a note of who you speak to(just in case) not only for your peace of mind but it also provides the opportunity to gloat a little
  • WobblyGregWobblyGreg Member Posts: 11 Connected
    Thanks for replies
    I may wait till tomorrow just give it another day.

I thought it was a bit dodgy tbh as mostly the DLA love to send mountains of paperwork and I can't ever remember them ringing before, it will be a way of checking on progress I guess .

I read on this site that money is usauly paid after about 6 weeks or so , so wasn't expecting anything before that .

I waited from August (failed pip assessment)last year till now so not desperate yet 😑
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's perfectly normal for them to ring asking questions before paying you any backdated money owed. One of the questions they usually ask is "have you been in hospital" Best thing to do is ring them.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Thanks poppy
    They rang again I was out again lol
    Someone on my MS forum said it could be an outsourcing firm that rang her asking how her ESA appeal went 

I'm loathe to ring DWP I hate them so much and just think they'll take something else away !

• madquasimodomadquasimodo Member Posts: 130 Courageous
    They would probably ask if you had been in hospital to see if they could reduce your award because you needed less support when in hospital.
  • justg72justg72 Member Posts: 173 Pioneering
  • madquasimodomadquasimodo Member Posts: 130 Courageous
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP are not entitled to discuss your appeal award with you, so don't.  If DWP try to insist you discuss your appeal award, tell them they must ask the judge for a statement of reasons (SOR).  This is what they should do if they have a question about the tribunal's decision.
    Matilda 
    That's what I'd have thought tbh 
    If I'm in when they ring I'll say that.
    Thank you
    Matilda said:
    DWP are not entitled to discuss your appeal award with you, so don't. 
    They ring to ask if you've been in hospital at any point because if you're in hospital for more than 28 days then you won't be entitled to PIP for that time. Once they ring asking this you know it won't be long before you're paid the backdated money.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Well they never rang again.

I tried the number the appeal letter gave me ,they gave me a number for DWP which was wrong .

I then read some one saying to never give your number and wait till DWP send you letter as you have paper trail.

In absence of number to contact DWP with I have given up I can't be arsed trying to find right number.
    Thank you poppy

• twonkertwonker Member - under moderation Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Like anything that is to do with the DWP, always get everything in writing. If the 'phone call was about the payment they will send you a letter.
    My mistake in the past was not following my own advice. I telephoned them years ago to tell them of a change of address. The next thing I knew was that they had stopped my payments (giros)  as they continued to send them to the old address and where returned as 'not known'. When I contacted them to find out what the problem was they denied ever having the telephone conversation with me!
  • FetlockFetlock Member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Well they never rang again.

I tried the number the appeal letter gave me ,they gave me a number for DWP which was wrong .

I then read some one saying to never give your number and wait till DWP send you letter as you have paper trail.

In absence of number to contact DWP with I have given up I can't be arsed trying to find right number.
    They'll usually try three times. If they can't contact you they send a letter.
    One thing they want to check is that your bank details on file are still current.
    Ringing you is the last stage before making payment.
    If you're ok waiting several weeks longer for your money just wait for the letter, complete the form with the details it asks for and post it back. If you aren't ok about waiting  that long then you're best ringing them.

The poster has already waited up to a year to get to the Tribunal stage, a few weeks more is here nor there.
    twonker said:
    The poster has already waited up to a year to get to the Tribunal stage, a few weeks more is here nor there.
    It most certainly does matter, especially when people are struggling to live because of their disability.
    As the poster who waited so long for the Tribunal i thank everyone for their imput .

But I will not on reflection ring the DWP as I really do not trust them and can honestly see them twisting or interpreting what I say wrongly. 

I have in the past dealt with large companies at grievance and complaint stages and I would always advice anyone in those cases to get written evidence.

The DWP are not to be trusted ..period.
    I will wait till they contact me.

Yes I want the money but I dont need more grief from DWP.

The DWP go along with the tribunals' awards so they will pay you within eight weeks - unless they've asked judge for SOR - in which case you should receive a letter from DWP telling you so.
    As the poster who waited so long for the Tribunal i thank everyone for their imput .

But I will not on reflection ring the DWP as I really do not trust them and can honestly see them twisting or interpreting what I say wrongly. 

I have in the past dealt with large companies at grievance and complaint stages and I would always advice anyone in those cases to get written evidence.

The DWP are not to be trusted ..period.
    I will wait till they contact me.

Yes I want the money but I dont need more grief from DWP.

I don't blame you - always try to get everything in writing from the DWP avoiding conversations over the telephone.
    Well they just rang again and left a message that was recorded in in a very noisy wind tunnel with a noisy lorry going past .
    I could not make out the number they left as the line was so bad  .
    Either way I'm not ringing them I'm going by advice received here which is to wait till they write.
    Quite right.  But if they don't write within another couple of weeks, phone them on the number you've got on DWP correspondence and ask when you can expect to receive payment.
    As there was wind and lorries in the back ground of the message they left are you sure it was from DWP? Seems strange to me.
    Hence why I never use the telephone where the DWP are involved.
    The number I will  ring is 0800 121 4433.
    Tried yesterday " high number of calls " blah blah 
    I'll wait for letter getting too stressful trying to phone.
    Well the letter arrived 
    Just asked if I'd been in hospital or prison and if bank details were the same.

Sent a 2nd class return envelope I took picture of everything and will send back today.
    Well the letter arrived 

Sent a 2nd class return envelope I took picture of everything and will send back today.
    There you go, a painless way to resolve the issue. Far better than speaking to the DWP who may well misinterpret some off the cuff comment you might make in jest.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,940 Scope community team
    Well the letter arrived 

Thanks for letting us know the outcome @WobblyGreg, I'm glad it wasn't anything serious and you can relax. :) 
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
    And then to confuse me I get a letter from Hanley IBR DWP.
    'RE income-related ESA(IR) having looked at information you gave us , you are not entitled to ESA (IR)from 25th July 2013 

As a result there is no change to your benefit 🤔😞
    DWP are not fit for purpose.  They don't know which end is up.
    And then to confuse me I get a letter from Hanley IBR DWP.
    'RE income-related ESA(IR) having looked at information you gave us , you are not entitled to ESA (IR)from 25th July 2013 

As a result there is no change to your benefit 🤔😞
    Being entitled to income related top up on your ESA will depend on your circumstances between the dates you were assessed. The things they look at are living with a partner that works, or claims other benefits, pensions, savings/capital.
Sign in or join us to comment.