Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Esa assessment

hello all,on Friday I shall be having a health assessment for esa,the last time I had one 4 years ago I scored 0 points and the so called doctor had wrote a pack of lies in his report.8 months later I went in front of the tribunal and was passed.i have no doubt I will fail again with more lies told.my question is,what benefit will I get until the tribunal is heard.thanks

Replies

• Dotty123Dotty123 Member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    If fail esa you have do mandatory you get nothing to live on then tribunal if they accept takes ages get reduced esa but money backdated from when stopped 
  • mikey59mikey59 Member Posts: 22 Connected
    The last time I failed I was put on jsa money but had to hand in sick notes until my tribunal.this has obviously changed.how are you suppose to live with no money,I have rent and bills to pay
    What is mandatory?
  • Susie55Susie55 Member Posts: 76 Connected
    Hi,i have esa assessment on Thursday and like you 5years ago failed and had to go to tribunal.I only have 2years till my state pension,beggars belief when you see the youngsters around drinking and taking drugs and they get extra benefits to feed their habit,Not all youngsters i hasten to add.So if i have to go to tribunal am i right in thinking i will have reduced money until such time of tribunal,if i am not lucky to be passed on assesment.Also can anyone tell me can i ask assessor about my GPs report as my doctor who i saw regularly finished xmas time.Since then i have only seen locum doctors who have not got a clue of my illnesses.Started to get very anxious knowing whats ahead of me ,which doesnt help my health at all.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    mikey59 said:
    What is mandatory?
    That will be a mandatory reconsideration (MR) it's where you ask the DWP to look at the decision again if you have a decision you're not happy with. You also have to go through this process before you can request the Tribunal.

I would try not to worry about that until you have to, i know that's easier said than done though.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Susie55 said:
    Hi,i have esa assessment on Thursday and like you 5years ago failed and had to go to tribunal.I only have 2years till my state pension,beggars belief when you see the youngsters around drinking and taking drugs and they get extra benefits to feed their habit,Not all youngsters i hasten to add.So if i have to go to tribunal am i right in thinking i will have reduced money until such time of tribunal,if i am not lucky to be passed on assesment.Also can anyone tell me can i ask assessor about my GPs report as my doctor who i saw regularly finished xmas time.Since then i have only seen locum doctors who have not got a clue of my illnesses.Started to get very anxious knowing whats ahead of me ,which doesnt help my health at all.
    If you're not happy with the decision then providing you don't claim Universal credit then once the Tribunal accept you're appeal you can go back onto assessment rate for ESA but you'll need sick notes from your GP. You also have to request the MR first and you won't receive any ESA while you wait for that decision. Potentially you could be several weeks or more without money.

You can certainly ask about the report from your GP whether they will tell you anything is a different matter.

As for other people claiming ESA then you really can't judge others when you don't know their circumstances.

Good luck with the assessment.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    I was not judging all people like I said not everyone I know people's circumstances are different,but I am saying what I have seen when I went for my last assessment one boy when they called him in he was drinking a can of larger,another one was so spaced out on whatever he had taken couldn't even get out of the chair,and that was when they were having their assessment,so please don't make me out to be judging All people!!!!
    I never said you were judging all people. What i said was please don't judge others.
    I’m getting really stressed over this assessment has I know there gonna sit and write a pack of lies like they did last time and won’t get enough points.infact if I end up on a independent appeal which is most likely this would be my third
    I've only had one a d that was bad enough I had a judge and medical consultant questioning me ,for over an hour I was mentally and physically drained The thought of having to go through another one if it doesn't work in my favour,which I sure it won't,fills me with dread but as my son says that's what they want people to do just leave it.Good luck for Friday and think of me on Thursday 🙄
    Go for it good luck 
  • fiesta56fiesta56 Member Posts: 41 Listener
    Good look esa assesments are a nightmare all thry do is lie in my eyes
    Yes they are you go and fight for what is yours esa assessments they tell load **** get away with it 
    Yes that's true enough I will fight for it though it fills me with dread😔
    I’m waiting for tribunal which I dread
    Please remember that we do only ever hear the bad stories. Lots of people are successfully placed into a group without any problems at all but we rarely hear the good stories.
    True and lot time there hard work
    I’ve still got all the documentation from the last assessment,I’m going to show them this and say I suppose you’ll be telling another pack of lies
    mikey59 said:
    I’ve still got all the documentation from the last assessment,I’m going to show them this and say I suppose you’ll be telling another pack of lies
    I really wouldn't recommend you say that. I know some HCPs have a bad name but they aren't all bad. Believe it or not there are some HCPs that are really nice, we just don't hear the good stories only the bad ones.

You really wouldn't want to have your assessment stopped because of your attitude.
    They pretend to be nice but still sit there writing or typing a pack of lies,in my eyes there all the same.i say it how it is and if they don’t like to hear the truth we’ll thats not my problem.call me what you will.
    Completely right I have been with my mother and friend and both times lied I was there my friend later had a stoke and is parilised it’s joke how treat people unwell
  • pcoventrypcoventry Member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    I had my first one - Stroke was mentioned - I had to have another one 2 months later - Doctor agreed I had  significant weakness in my left side still enough to hamper my work efforts - agreed I had a 100% successful case against my employer for sacking me whilst on the sick. 

DWP decision maker said I was fit for work.. **** to that.. I have the report coming, They have 0 medical experience and I think that the assessor once they send their report via e-mail that should be their decision on the spot - because it makes their professions look a mockery if some un qualified office chimp just over rides it. 
    edited May 2019
    I've had 3 ESA assessments and 2 PIP assessments for myself. My daughter has had 2 PIP assessments, one of hers was paper based. Neither of us has ever had a bad report and have never had any problems claiming.

All the HCPs i've seen have been friendly, polite and extremely helpful. During my most recent ESA assessment the HCP offered me her arm to walk into the room because my mobility isnt good, helped me up from the chair and helped me walk from the room to the door to meet my daughter who was waiting in the car. She kept telling me to take my time because i was saying sorry for taking so long to walk. So, i'm proof that the good ones are out there.

I hope you are successful it’s an awful situation to be in if ain’t it’s a long time wait tribunals can you have an tribrunal and not have Be there id Request letter of doctor it’s worth a try
    I've had 3 ESA assessments and 2 PIP assessments for myself. My daughter has had 2 PIP assessments, one of hers was paper based. Neither of us has ever had a bad report and have never had any problems claiming.

All the HCPs i've seen have been friendly, polite and extremely helpful. During my most recent ESA assessment the HCP offered me her arm to walk into the room because my mobility isnt good, helped me up from the chair and helped me walk from the room to the door to meet my daughter who was waiting in the car. She kept telling me to take my time because i was saying sorry for taking so long to walk. So, i'm proof that the good ones are out there.

Of the 3 esa assessments did they tell lies in there report?
    No, none of them. Same for all the PIP reports, including my daughters.
    No, none of them. Same for all the PIP reports, including my daughters.
    You passed with 15 or more points on all 3 esa assessments?
    I've been in the Support Group since 2013 and it's not about scoring points for this group, it's about satisfying one of the descriptors. Never had any problems and my 2nd review was paper based.
  • sophie88sophie88 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    @poppy123456 what do you mean when u say satisfying one of the descriptors? Thanks in advance 
  • sophie88sophie88 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    edited May 2019
    Also could you advise what kind of things to note in a diary kept for ESA purposes... how detailed do I need to be? ... again thanks in advance 
    I haven't kept a diary but am taking my photo copy of questionnaire with me tomorrow for my assessment,wish me luck☹️
    sophie88 said:
    @poppy123456 what do you mean when u say satisfying one of the descriptors? Thanks in advance 

A dairy of a typical day for you. I've never kept a diary for this purpose so i don't know how detailed in should be.

I've been in the Support Group since 2013 and it's not about scoring points for this group, it's about satisfying one of the descriptors. Never had any problems and my 2nd review was paper based.
    I was of the understanding that for an esa assessment you had to score 15 or more points to pass,that’s what they did for my last 2 assessment,scoring 0 points on both occasions and having to go to 2 independent tribunals 
    Yes you do have get 15 points no one yet has so you do mandatory with no money then tribunal get reduced £73.10 week don’t go on uc or you can’t go back on esa 
    For the WRAG yes it's 15 points but not for the Support Group as indicated in this link for the support group descriptors.

@Dotty123 lots of people are successfully placed into one of the ESA groups without any problems at all but we rarely hear of the good stories only the bad.

I was put in the support group 4 years ago when I attended the tribunal.maybe the assessment is for this and where I don’t need to score any points.is the same medical undertaken for this and where points are needed 

They most likely won't take the Tribunal decision into consideration because this is a new work capability assessment. You'll be assessed for the work you can do, rather than what you can't do.

It's the same work capability assessment for both of the groups and they both have similar descriptors but for the Support Group the descriptor needs to apply the majority of the time. If they think it doesn't apply the majority of the time then points will be scored for for the WRAG and if you score more than 15 points then this is the group you'll be placed into.

If none of the descriptors apply for either of the group they will look at reg29/35 which is exceptional circumstances and if they they you are a danger to yourself or others then one of these could apply to you. This is explained here.

mikey59 said:
    I was of the understanding that for an esa assessment you had to score 15 or more points to pass,that’s what they did for my last 2 assessment,scoring 0 points on both occasions and having to go to 2 independent tribunals 
    Have you had an assessment since 2013,is so they would have been a new assessment,your in the support group but say it’s not point scoring,I’m in the support group and it’s my first new assessment since 2103,surely it’s not point scoring for me or am I missing or not understand something?
    I first claimed ESA at the start of 2013 and was put into the Support group about 9 months later. I've had 2 assessments since then and one was a paper based. My most recent one was October last year and i had a face to face.

You are misunderstanding it. It's points scoring for WRAG but not for the Support Group. If you gain entry to either of the groups through exceptional circumstances then it's not points scoring for either group.
    I was put into the support group by the tribunal so I’m guessing they won’t see this has exceptional circumstances and class me has wrap with point scoring?
    It could have been exceptional circumstances yes because a Tribunal could have decided that.
    It could have been exceptional circumstances yes because a Tribunal could have decided that.
    Is there any way of knowing or finding out if they were exceptional circumstances decided by the tribunal?
    Do you have the decision letter from that Tribunal? if not you can try ringing DWP but as it was 6 years ago it's doubtful they will have anything. I'm not sure how long they keep things like that for.
    The best thing you can do right now is concentrate on the reasons why you think you should remain in the support group this time.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mikey59 and good luck with your ESA assessment tomorrow- please do let us know how it goes!

@poppy123456 is very true, here on the community we normally do hear the more negative side because this is when people require support with the claim which is no problem at all. However, not all assessments are like this and positive experiences are possible.

Wishing everyone a positive outcome :)

Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • Valerie57Valerie57 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    My hubby has had an assessment early may. The lady was lovely, after about an hour she said we'll that's all the information I need,she had a report from his doctor.fortnight later he had moved from the work related group to the ESA group.we didn't go into all his ailments(which would have taken another hour lol).
    I had my assessment on Friday,lasted about 15 mins.i was shocked that no medical was done,I was asked some questions,ie how do I go about cooking and looking after bills etc,I told him my sister does everything,he then said it looks like you need support and finished off the assessment
    Good luck Mikey I’m dreaded this week 
    They are not supposed to tell you anything during the assessment of what their thoughts are because the report they send is just a recommendation. Assessment lengths vary wildly, depending on how many questions they ask you.

Leave it to the end of next week and request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
    I’m not going to ask for a copy of the assessment form in case it’s not what I want to hear,I’ll go into panic mode and get too stressed out.i would rather wait for the dwp decision letter and worry from there should it be bad news 
    When’s sending extra medically evidence can’t u send copy’s or original document
    fiesta56 said:
    When’s sending extra medically evidence can’t u send copy’s or original document
    Copy's, never ever send originals.
    I’ve had send one original because when got copied doctor stamp didn’t show up
    Poppy I poppy I got txt from tribunal asking to send medical report in does this mean I’m getting near my tribunal date do I send copy of report or real one x
    Dotty123 said:
    Poppy I poppy I got txt from tribunal asking to send medical report in does this mean I’m getting near my tribunal date do I send copy of report or real one x
    Hi,

No, it doesn't i'm afraid. They are just asking you to send some medical evidence. They are not asking you to send the assessment report because they will already have a copy of this sent from DWP.
    I’ve been on 2 tribunals and have never been asked to send  any medicine evidence.why is this?
    I have sent lots medical reports in to them says same thing did you win a tribunal Mikel 59 
    Thank you poppy x
    mikey59 said:
    I’ve been on 2 tribunals and have never been asked to send  any medicine evidence.why is this?
    That was your Tribunal. HMCTS have asked Dotty for medical evidence, which she should send.
    Iv got get letter tomorrow I’m sending when they say someone who no’s how I suffer do I put that in to com seeing tribunal lady who does tribunals should I wait till then seeing her 27/6/19 xx
    It depends when they want you to send it. If it was me i'd send what i have now and then send more at a later date, if you have to. You'll have more advice from the help you're receiving on 27/6.

Waiting times for Tribunals are huge so it's very unlikely that you'll receive a date anytime soon because it's not that long that you requested it.
    Thank you so much poppy x
    You're welcome x
Sign in or join us to comment.