Advice about swapping my wheelchair — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice about swapping my wheelchair

Options
joolz3991
joolz3991 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I am looking for advice. I am 2yrs into a 3yr hire contract on a wheelchair. When i hired it i was 10stone larger than i am now and weighed 23stone. I therefore had to have a bariatric chair. I can nolonger use the chair as i have shrunk from a size 26 to a 14. I rattle around in the chair. I currently pay £170 a month hire. I have requested that the hire company fit a new seat to suit me. They want to charge me £750 as a one off surplus charge. I don't have that. So i have a chair i can not use. They have refused to release me from my agreement or swop my chair for a suitable one. I am at my witts end. Is there anything i can do that does not saddle me with extra large expenses. Just for clarity i have to be supported in the chair as i have fibromyalgia, osteo arthritis, osteoporosis, degenerative spinal disease, ibs, chronic migraine and skin issues (lichen sclerosus.) HELP!! Thanks

Comments

• cjacs
    cjacs Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Hi. 
    Im not qualified at all so I'm probably not going to be much help. I do know someone who had their car changed due to it not being appropriate for him. He is a larger man and found that the car he originally opted for caused him discomfort and managed to get them to agree to being allowed to choose a different car. 
    I can't say I know anyone with a wheelchair but perhaps that's something someone else on here can help you with. 
    I hope you get it resolved. 
  • joolz3991
    joolz3991 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for taking time to write. I went with the same principal when i asked them, as you example. However to date they refuse to help me without it costing me a small fortune. 
  • cjacs
    cjacs Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Have you looked into seeing if a local charity will help with the funding?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @joolz3991 and a very warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear the chair is no longer suitable, this must be infuriating! Have you looked at getting a chair through the NHS? I'll move your post to the equiptment section of the forum and I hope you get some other suggestions :)
    Scope

• fab66
    fab66 Community member Posts: 13 Courageous
    Options
    Is this a private contract or Mobility.
    if it’s Mobility then get doctors letter stating the stress, damage being done by this wheelchair, not the cost because you knew that before purchasing.  
    But private contract then check the terms and conditions.
    Good Luck

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.