Do I stand anywhere legally? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Do I stand anywhere legally?

lysht Member Posts: 2 Listener
Can anyone give me some advice on this. I have Aspergers Syndrome and this was exploited through the court system by my ex regarding contact with my children in 2009. I know the law has changed now and disabled people have rights these days but I strongly feel I have had my parental rights taken off me. I have a letter from my solicitor that states my disability was exploited through the court system. Do I stand anywhere legally?


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,212 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lysht and welcome

    You really need trained advice for this. What does your solicitor say ? or try CAB 
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • lysht
    lysht Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes I will try CAB. Thanks
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lysht

    Welcome, yes as my good friend @CockneyRebel says it will be best if you can get to the “CAB”

    Please please come back to me if you need anymore help/support?????

  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,578 Scope online community team
    Hello @lysht, did you get anywhere with CAB? I hope they were able to advise you on this. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @lysht

    A very warm welcome.

    CAB will not be able to assist you in Family Law issues.

    You need to seek expert advice from a Family Law solicitor and please note, there is no legal aid.

    You could contact the Law Society to see if they have pro bono advice near you.

    Most Family Law firms offer a free first 30 mins consultation and then offer advice.

    You could also consider taking your case to the Family Court yourself and request you be assisted by a “McKenzie” friend.

    By it’s nature Family Courts are calm and respectful proceedings and look for the best interest of the children.

    I am somewhat surprised that there was no Contact Order made for supervised contact, for you and your children. In all cases the Court has to go to all lengths to maintain parental contact with children.

    There has not been any changes in the law, in the past ten years, that impact your case.

    Keep us informed.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,872 Connected
    Welcome to the community 

    Please contact a Family Law solicitor for advice. Why didn’t you ask for a Contact Order? Also get in contact with the law society to see if they can give you relevant advice. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.