Obtaining PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Obtaining PIP

PastelPagan
PastelPagan Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I've read the government's website, but it's provided little clarification on what to do to obtain it.
I was told by a friend that I might be allowed something because of anxiety, depression and suspected autism/ADHD, not to mention back pains providing an impact on what I can actually get up to with my life.
However, I've got absolutely no idea on how much these things are affecting my life. I've no idea where to go or what to do to get it, what it even is, or anything. The government's website has only served to confuse me more.
Help?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP is a disability benefits awarded for the extra cost of having a disability. It's not means tested and other household income/savings don't count.

It isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. You must also be aged between 16-64.  You'll need evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to prove you qualify.

Most people have face to face assessments, it's rare to have a paper based assessment.

Claims can take several months maybe more, especially if you're refused and have to go down the appeal route. More information in the links below.

This link is well worth reading but it's long. It will give you a better understanding of the descriptors and what they mean.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    Hi,
    You must also be aged between 16-64.  You'll need evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to prove you qualify. 
    That is for new claims only. For those that are currently receiving DLA they can claim beyond 64. And once receiving a PIP award they can continue to receive it until they die provided that they continue to pass the regular re-assessment process and are awarded enough points. There is no upper age limit.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    twonker said:

That is for new claims only. For those that are currently receiving DLA they can claim beyond 64. And once receiving a PIP award they can continue to receive it until they die provided that they continue to pass the regular re-assessment process and are awarded enough points. There is no upper age limit.
    There as no mention of the other person claiming DLA, which was why i didn't mention that. The current age for claiming PIP is between 16-64. You always do seem to manage to twist things @Yadnad
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.