Claiming ESA and PIP while Able to Work — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Claiming ESA and PIP while Able to Work

Hi everyone. I'm a carer to my recently octogenarian mother, but my question actually relates to my neighbour who used to be my friend. I know that he is claiming ESA in the support group and also PIP in the daily living section and the getting around section too. In his claims, he's essentially said he's housebound and in no way can do any kind of work.

However, for a while now I have known that he is working for himself, buying second hand cars off eBay 'spares or repairs', fixing whatever is wrong with them and selling them back on eBay for several hundreds pounds profit. He is a qualified mechanic and does this out of his home garage which is fully loaded with tools including jacks and an air compressor. He takes payment by cash or direct bank transfer so there is no way this work is sanctioned work by the DWP.

He is currently living with a partner who has an admin job with the NHS and who obviously knows what he is doing since they live together.

My question is, what would likely happen if all of this came to light with the DWP Fraud department. Would he simply be looking at just a fine, sanction or a prison sentence? I assume he'll be knocked off both ESA and PIP, but I read somewhere that they'll leave his PIP intact. Anyone know if that's true? Also, what would happen to his partner, since she is complicit in his fraud. Could this affect her job with the NHS.

I'm sorry to drop such a negative tale on you in my first post, but it's guys like him who give the tabloids the ammunition they need to target the truly sick and disabled. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.



  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Picasso1975 and welcome

    Nobody on an internet forum can answer your question. Does it matter what would happen ? If the situation is as you say then it is your decision whether to make a report or not. If a person is breaking the law then they should face the consequences of their actions and that can only be decided by the appropriate authority. Would knowing make a difference to the action you take ?

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Member Posts: 252 Pioneering
    Hello @Picasso1975
    i thought that you could get PIP in your own right, even if you worked. However to claim benefits of the higher amounts which would suggest
    you were lying about your condition that is an offence and you would most very likely lose your PIP for Fraud and be prosecuted   
  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,154 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Picasso1975

    Welcome to our online community/family.

    I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

    Here’s some info for you below.

    I have also suffered a Stoke so please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support????

  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,216 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes you can claim PIP and be in full time work, it is not means tested. However the work that you do cannot conflict with the reasons why you claim PIP.
    PIP is also awarded based on the ammount of time you are affected, ie the majority of time. In theory it is possible for your condition to affect you for 7 months of a year and for you to have no symptoms for 5 months

    In the case of a person buying , fixing and selling second hand cars, if they can only do so 3 days per week and their condition prevents them doing so for 4 days of the week then this could comply with the regulations
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Picasso1975
    Picasso1975 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for all the opinions guys. I have to boil the kettle now because Pointless is coming on and dear old mum has a thing for Richard lol.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.