Universal Credit for Stage 4 ERKF — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Universal Credit for Stage 4 ERKF

melissahicking2019 Member Posts: 131 Courageous
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everybody, iv recently been on here discussing a friends PIP tribunal which he WON. thank God. im glad i can relax again.

My question is regarding my own claim for ESA and UNIVERSAL CREDIT - i am claiming UC for the past 5 month.

My question is about the capability assessment ect.

Is their a length of time i will have to wait for the assessment or is it simply unknown and varies from person to person.

Also what are the rates of pay, Im assuming i will be placed into the support group. 

Do you get backdated and are thier any premiums to be claimed.

thank you for any advice.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,265 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2019

    This is the PIP/DLA part of the forum but i'll answer your question anyway.

    There's no timescales for an assessment, it depends on backlog in your area.

    For Limited capability for work (LCW) with UC then you need fit notes from a GP and this will start off the work capability assessment process. Once your work coach has referred you, you will be sent a work capability assessment form. This needs to be filled in and returned with all your evidence and must be received no later than the date in the letter. Failure to return it on time could see you being found fit for work for failing to return the form.

    Once it's received you'll most likely need a face to face assessment. Limited capability for work is about the work you can do and not the work you can't do and this is what they will assess you on.

    It's not about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to do any type of work. No one on an internet forum can tell you whether you'll be successfully placed into a group or which group you'll placed placed into, if any.

    Both groups have criteria and they are called descriptors. WRAG which is limited capability for work (LCW) here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1354-work-related-activity-group-descriptors

    Support Group, which is limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

    15 points needed for LCW but for LCWRA at least one of the descriptors must apply the majority of the time.

    If none of those apply then substantial risk may apply, explained here. http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/making-exception

    Once the decision is made, how much you get will depend whether you're claiming UC or ESA. If you're placed into WRAG/LCW and your claim started after April 2017 then you won't receive any extra money.

    No premiums are paid if you're claiming UC. If you're given LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £336.20 from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent in your first fit note.

    If you're claiming old style legacy ESA then the premiums still exist.

    If you're claiming New style ESA then you can't claim any of the premiums.

    There are some special circumstances where you can be given LCWRA  without a face to face assessment. See link under waiting period.

  • melissahicking2019
    melissahicking2019 Member Posts: 131 Courageous
    thanks poppy. i hope they will get my assessment sorted soon.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.