Wait time for PIP mandatory reconsideration — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wait time for PIP mandatory reconsideration

CJ61
CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
edited June 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My  5 page mandatory reconsideration letter accompanied by a doctor's letter was signed for at the DWP 3 weeks ago today. I've heard nothing. Although being less well than ever they stopped my PIP and cut my ESA too. I'm in a big big mess and not coping too well. Does anybody know how long a response should take?  I'm trying to prepare myself for having to go to appeal. As I have no support I will need to do this on my own and as I'm pretty much housebound due to crippling anxiety I would need a paper hearing. I'm plummeting and would appreciate some info. Thank you. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Unfortunately, there's no timescales for decisions it really depends on backlog in your area.

If the decision does remain the same and you do end up taking it to Tribunal please reconsider your decision to ask for a paper based decision. The chances of success for paper based decisions are much less than those that appear in person. For paper based it's just between 5-8% chance of success compared to 71% if you appear in person.

Do you have a friend or family member that can attend the hearing with you?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CJ61
    Unfortunately I have nobody that could come with me (I am completely isolared from society and estranged from family) part of my illness is my inability to leave home a lot of the time. I also fail to be able to talk to people face to face. It would appear to be contradictory for me to attend a hearing. Not to mention the unbelievable stress it would cause me. I suppose it's not worth even appealing if I only have a 5%  chance of success.  I really don't know how to move forward. My life is getting a bit too difficult to cope with. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    I'm really sorry to hear this @CJ61. I understand how you might feel about the prospect of a tribunal, but it really is better to attend them, if you can find a way to.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    i'm no longer so comfortable out side as i used to be, so spend longer and longer each year in my own 4 walls, not a people person either, so not one for going out or meeting people i don't know, but the Tribunal was different in many ways, one they made me feel welcome, and another they also were nice people, very helpful, and some of the best medical wise sort of people who did really understand what i was going through as well, so while i can't say i loved it, i won't say it wasn't a bad or worse experience i've ever had, overall, like a trip to the doctors or hospital, not many would wish to go there, but if you have to, on a scale of would i do that again or prefer to do another WCA, i'd do a Tribunal every time tbh
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There is an option to ask to  have a telephone tribunal. I do not have any information as to the success of these but It would give the panel the opportunity to ask any questions so must be better than a paper based hearing
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • CJ61
    The problems I can see among several is the fact that I have not been further than 3 or 4 miles from home in about 4 yrs. Im not sure I would get there without incident. I managed to reverse into a parked car when all I was dong was going to post my letter. Ive never done anything like that before. I was so scared of a confrontation Im ashamed to say I just drove off. It was a big Transit and after I checked my plastic bumper and there was no damage I assumed the van had survived unscathed. I still hate that I did that. I was temporarily a very bad person and I hate myself. 

Still not sure how I could be at an assessment and say my main issues are not being able to go out or talk to people? I did have a home visit assessment after all. Surely they would just say 'well you can go out and you can talk to people because you are here and you're talking to us'  Im actually afraid I might vomit or faint or have a full blown panic attack and that's if I got there without having an accident.
    I wasn't aware there was a telephone option tribunal. Does anybody know how successful they are?
    My income is now so reduced Ive started selling my stuff on Ebay. Luckily there is a Hermes collection service in my area and they pick up my parcels from my green bin.
     Its really getting harder to find a reason to get up in the mornings and if it wasn't for my cat, Dave, I wouldn't bother.
    Thank you everybody for your input.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CJ61, how are you doing today? I can understand how difficult it would be for you to attend the tribunal. Maybe looking into the telephone tribunal would be useful for yourself. 
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down, do you get any mental health support at the moment?
    I really hope it goes well for you :)
    Scope

• CJ61
    Hi Chloe, No I don't get any help from anywhere. Im very withdrawn from society. My doctor was always offering me counselling but I know I wouldn't manage to get there or in reality even be able to talk about things anymore so its not fair to make appointments I cant keep. 
    Ive still not heard from the DWP regarding my mandatory reconsideration and its over a month now. I still don't understand why my PIP was stopped as I still have the letter saying they awarded it to me until Sept 2019. Add that to the fact that I am less well than I was at the previous assessment and that my medication has been increased as a result of that. I even rang to see why I was assessed early and was told it was to make sure my payments didn't stop and then they did stop. It is baffling to say the least and also seems rather unfair. Im too scared to ring them as can no longer cope with the impact on my nerves. With every day that passes I feel more and more defeated and small.
  • Sparky3683
    Sparky3683 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    I submitted my MR form on June 3rd - they sent me the original decision letter 10 days late (they posted May 22,I got it May 31) - said they'd written to me to ask for extra info to support my PIP claim. They didn't - I can prove that never happened,no letters or phone calls to me were ever received so I submitted MR straight away. No decision yet :( 
  • Buddylove12
    Buddylove12 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited October 2019
    i was on dla for life then i thought why wait to go over to pip so put in for it lost all my benfits  thry gave me 6 pointsfor each  so did mandarty reconsideration they gave melower ratedaily living no moblity that took 2 weeks so took them to court they gave me higher for both nowhad to havereview after 4 years waiting for decision bet i have to take them to court again been waiting 8 weeks proibably beat least another 6 weeks before get a decision really making my cobdition worse

• stratos
    stratos Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Hi @CJ61 all of the above is good and sound advice which I am not experienced to answer but just wanted to say I am sorry for the struggles you are having and I hope and pray you will receive a good outcome. Please keep visiting this amazing site as along with excellent advice there is always a shoulder to cry on from understanding and caring people.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Buddylove12! Is there anything we can do to help?

How are you getting on @CJ61, things sounded really tough.
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.