Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
FND and cardiac symptoms
Hi. after many years battling the system, I've just been diagnosed with functional neurological disorder, which is little understood. My symptoms include left sided weakness, tinnitus, dizziness, headaches, light sensitivity and exhaustion after walking only a few yards. I have previously been diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnolence (the opposite of insomnia) and malignant vasovagal syndrome (which causes me to faint), both of which are rare conditions. The consultant however could not explain my cardiac symptoms which I suspect may in some way be connected. They can be very severe at times and include sudden bouts of breathlessness, collapsing and palpitations. I wake up several times a night with tachycardia (raised heart rate) which is sometimes coupled with breathlessness, despite sleeping sitting up which reduces the severity of the symptoms. This normally happens when in REM sleep (dreaming). I was wondering if anyone else has this unusual combination of cardiac and neurological symptoms and if one could be affecting the other? I'm unsure whether I have the correct diagnosis or not. So far I have been offered no support although I am waiting for a cardiology appointment. Thanks for your help/support.
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.