PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My court appeal documents - what happens to them now?

Frankie100Frankie100 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello

I had a PIP court appeal recently, and copies of my whole medical record, and full PIP and ESA documentation was requested by the judge in February, for my hearing 2 weeks ago.

On the hearing panel's table, was at least 1000 printed papers.
I have my own copies, but what happens to the copy document papers they had in front of them? 

I've only just considered this  :|

Thanks

Replies

• Frankie100Frankie100 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited June 2019
    ilovecats said:
    I imagine it's either filed or shredded?
    Yes I've just found that on an appeals info doc online.

"Please note that after your case has concluded we will only keep your file for a limited period before destroying it"
    It doesn't state how long until this happens though.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,954

Scope community team

Hello @Frankie100 and welcome to the community!

Is there a specific reason you want to know how long they hold on to them for? As you found and Ilovecats mentioned, they will be destroyed, but if you want to know how long before that happens I imagine they could answer if you gave them a call. 

Great profile pic by the way, is it your dog?
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,006 Disability Gamechanger
    The clerk to the tribunal takes all the papers used by the panel on the day and either shreds them on the day if that facility is available at the venue or takes them back to their regional site to do the same. HMCTS will retain an electronic copy for a mere 14 months as do the DWP office from where the appeal bundle was originally sent to HMCTS. Don’t honestly know what the PO does with their copy but half the time they turn up without a set in the first place. 

All this has the rather unfortunate effect that if your original appeal goes to upper tribunal and is subsequently returned to first tier tribunal for re-hearing the original papers will have long gone. Rare that it matters but I’ve had instances where it can. For example where one of the outcomes was that the papers needed to be reconfigured for large print 

What happens to the judge’s notes is an entirely different question. 

Sign in or join us to comment.