advice on how to handle school
hello I would like advise about this situation
After the diagnosis Mr B in my opinion seems to have changed his attitude with k I don’t think he is a bad teacher just doesn't seem equipped to help her.
7th June my little girl which i'll call K came home crying saying she had been told off but didn’t know why I rang the school Mr B informed me that k had refused multiple times to fetch her book bag and she had stopped her feet. However the book bag was at home and k said she was afraid to admit she had forgotten it. I tried to express this to Mr B that it might be worth looking at why K is playing up also told him that she was excited about the trip. Also that when k is exited at Christmas and her birthday I experience k becoming excited and more erratic. I have noticed that k has a fear of the unknown this can also manifest her behaviour. However Mr B actions seem to suggest that he did not take this on board.
13 June k was in tears again this time I got to speak to Mr B in the playground he was clearly agitated. He told k not hide behind me several times whilst explaining to me what had happened. He clearly stated that though k hadn’t been naughty she had not done her work. He explained her punishment of missing break and dinner to catch up on work. Though I agree that she should do the work I just don’t agree with his approach as he seemed to be doing it to fill a need on his part and not for k benefit.
Side note I have had k shut down on me before when she dose this I can not get her to speak, eat or even play. Understandably I would rather work on k behaviour than her to shut down again in a more constructive manner as shouting at her will not help no one
Again I tried talking to Mr B he has sett a meeting on Thursday, however this is when the school is having a meeting with the children's new teachers. I rang the school to try to sort something out but as they haven't got the letter with the diagnoses it feels like they don't want to know. Though with some back and forth I got a quick chat with a miss L that is a part of scope. I just feel like i'm fighting a losing battle meanwhile the casualty is my little girl.
How do I go sorting a special needs school out as k also struggles socially I just don't see mainstream as the best place for her
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 759 Work and employment
- 577 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments