What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


WillowtreeWillowtree Member Posts: 4 Listener
i suffer with fybromyagia and as I am getting older I am finding that the pain seems to be getting worse.  I also suffer with IBS, asthma and depression.  I still work full time and live on my own, I really don't know how I manage sometimes let alone get to work.  I have had physio, counselling but feel some days I just don't want to carry on this way.  I am 65 this year and don't use my car for work as it would cost too much in parking so I really feel I need some kind of support financially as well as having people I can turn for advice.  I know I work but my colleagues just shrug my fibro of because they can't see it and i find this is the same with any hidden illness.  Is there anyone who can help with benefit advise as I don't understand them at all.


  • jaki1972jaki1972 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    hi...ive worked all my life also and I live on my own.....but recently ive had to have a number of operation and could not return to work and had to turn to benefits....I applied for something called PIP...you can get this benefit if you are working and finding things rough...they maybe able to point you in the direction of any other help you maybe entitled to..call them ask them to send you a claim form....number for them is...0800 917 2222....its hard when you have a illness nobody can see or understand...I get that....good luck...chin up....
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Willowtree   Pleased to meet you .

    Thank you for sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help members of the forum.

    Please can I suggest have a look at our website we have lots of information on benefits.

    Benefits find out more.


    You have been given some good information and advice from @jaki1972 Hope that is helpful to you.

    I would also consider speaking to CAB  for further benefit advice and guidance, information. They have expertise and knowledge on benefits.

    They can be complicated and confusing.

    Please can I also advise further AGEUK.

    Have a look at their website lots of information, advice guidance and lots more. Might be useful for your particular health issues and wellbeing.


    Helpline 0800 055 6112.

    Please ask anything.  Some one will know.  From our community or a member of our team.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    You maybe entitled to PIP but it will depend how your conditions affect you. It's not about a diagnosis, but how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    As you'll be 65 this year then this will be the last time you will be able to apply for PIP, when you reach 65 it then becomes Attendance allowance and there's no mobility part to that.

    You will need evidence to support your claim because they rarely contact anyone for this.

    If you're successful then you'll continue to receive past state pension age for as long as you're entitled to it.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Willowtree and welcome to the community! The advice provided by the community has been really good, I hope the above links work.

    There also is a benefit calculator which you may find useful to have a look at. 

    What kind of work do you do? You may benefit from reasonable adjustment within your workplace. If you have anymore questions about this then please do let me know :)

Sign in or join us to comment.