Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Housing advice

ollieanddukeollieandduke Member Posts: 165 Courageous
Hello everyone sorry for going on but Its best for me to explain.
Im looking for advice and would appreciate any help I can get.
Ive lived at my 2 bed house for 8 years now.
Up until the last 6 months I have been able to get up and down the stairs. Its been a struggle but I have done it.
The last time I saw my doctor he advised me to contact the council and get a bungalow as I can no longer be deemed safe enough to try climbing stairs.
So Ive gone on the housing and been put in the band1 plus one which states I am giving my house up for a ground floor apartment but they say I can only have a flat because my daughter lives with me who is 22yrs old.
Is there any were I can get advice regarding being given a bungalow as there is no way I am willing to leave my house for a flat.
I cant climb into a bath and have slept downstairs for 6 months on the sofa.
I have contacted my local councillor mr pat macfadden who has asked the council to help me get a bungalow.
If anyone can help me I would be most grateful


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,082 Disability Gamechanger
    I got a bungalow with my 12 year old son through council my occupational therapist completed a housing needs assessment and sent this to council housing. This then put me in band b and allowed me to bid on bungalows. I got a new build through housing association eventually
     May be worth contacting adult social services to request assessment or get your gp to refer. I was referred through hospital as part of after care following amputation 
  • ollieanddukeollieandduke Member Posts: 165 Courageous
    Ive got a crumbling spine I have just had a esa assessment which put me in the support group for a further 2 years and i sent this to the housing which they said helped me get into band 1 +1 which meant i had poor mobility and i was giving up my house
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    I would telephone your local council. We currently live in a apartment on the first floor. But we are moving next month. My son’s social worker got in contact with my local council and they have done a housing needs assessment. My son uses a wheelchair. We are looking at a apartment on either the ground or first floor. I cannot afford a house. Not even a small one. Call your local SS department or ask your hospital to refer you. 
  • ollieanddukeollieandduke Member Posts: 165 Courageous
    The council have told me I am 58yrs old and could get a bungalow if my 22yr old daughter didnt live with me. But as much as Im suffering sleeping on the sofa I will never kick her out to get a bungalow.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,082 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know why your daughter living with you makes a difference unless they think she can carry you upstsair. 
    Like others have said you need to get housing needs assessment completed they can also advise on any aids that may be appropriate I have a bath lift for example or may be a stair lift could be fitted 
  • April2018momApril2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    One more suggestion:

    Have you looked to see if you qualify for adaptive equipment? Your daughter’s therapists should be able to meet you to discuss this in more detail and answer questions. 
Sign in or join us to comment.