long term unemployed through illness - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

long term unemployed through illness

124»

Comments

• zakblood
    zakblood Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    thanks 2 both of you, just been for a quick look around at the place as i like to make sure i know where it is so had a run there with my other half then she took me out for dinner, so can't complain, place looked nice and only 10 mins away from where we live, or 20 in the morning traffic, so fingers crossed
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Fingers crossed @zakblood
    Scope

• zakblood
    edited November 2019
    thanks, well it would end rather a mixed week, had some money back, now boilers broke, so they may be able to repair, but replacement will be 2k,. lol just what the DWP is giving me on Friday backdated, well it seems my roof leak and then failing the DWP and now my boiler is the 3rd thing to go wrong, so as they say bad things come in 3's, hopefully some good news with a job may stop me throwing myself off a cliff any time in the not to distant future, not that i would, no cliffs around me tbh

thanks, what doesn't break me, will or can only make me stronger, not too sure mind you how much more my shoulders can take, it's getting close
  • Chloe_Scope
    Really sorry to hear this @zakblood, it sounds like things are really tough at the moment. I really hope the interview goes well today.
    Scope

• zakblood
    lifes meant to be hard, if it was too easy, we wouldn't know the good from the really good., 

so on balance, it's meant to be this way for a reason, there is a plan, i maybe just don't like it or wish it to be different, but overall a plan is going in the direction it goes for a reason, today i got a job, so life is again a barrel of fun and laughs, put the bad times and debt behind me and again look forward to a brighter future, i'm upbeat, what doesn't kill me, can only make me stronger, smile on the outside but don't forget the pain inside, as there's always someone worse of who maybe isn't coping so well...

thanks and maybe early yet, but who cares, Merry Christmas
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    zakblood said:
    well this year up to yet as been my anno horribilis,

the amount of things that changed, so a brief history of myself and background.

left school in 1982 and worked full time until xmas 1999, so not a long working history, cut short by a back issue that went on to give more more side issues what now the back bone problem is no longer there, i'm left with long term muscle weakness which should be fixed by physio in the next 2 to 3 years and all the side effects of long term tablet taking, plus some complex anxiety issues.

so while i've only ever worked in the building trade, today it's a totally different world, the job market seems to be wanting a card now to prove you can do anything, even if you have done it for years in the past, so anything that was open to you, is now closed without first paying to get a card, then having no experience either which is relevant or in the last 3 to 5 years etc, so the door closes again on, if you have the card or not.

catch 22 it seems and your stuck in a loop, without the relevant card, you won't get a interview, and if you do get a interview as you have no previous work experience in the last 3 to 5 years, you fall at the 2nd hurdle, which make me wonder how those who go inside for a crime even ever get a job or chance.

so a change of job role, so i switched to apply for the caring role, and failed in 20 odd tries, as no relevant experience, even though they ask for none or NVQ's etc, as while they say there desirable there not a must, but seems again those with them and experience get them first, no matter if your suitable or not, so again falling at the 1st of 2nd hurdle, so then try building maintenance, and yes you guess it, with no experience in the last few years, no one will willing to give you a try.

so not only is my age against me, the lack of experience and suitable qualification, but this is a merry go round, as most have already almost said, if you gain the qualification, your age and lack of experience won't help.

so unskilled jobs, seems they want the younger school leavers as cheaper, plain and simple.

so while i'm waiting for tribunal, i've got my self a work coach and going to try for everything i can, and see where that takes me, but don't hold out any luck, as it seems the deck is stacked well against the long term unemployed, unless you want to work voluntary to gain the experience which is about the only option left open, then still you have to pay to get the qualification, and still have no idea if that will lead to a job in the end, so tread carefully and chose wisely.

and in the end, don't give up, as it's not how many times you fail that matters, like in life, it's how many times you keep trying that matters in the end.   

Oh Zak, what a rough time you`re having. Trying to be productive, come off benefits, make a difference and work...all so unfair. Doesn't the Job Centre send you on training courses?
  • zakblood
    thanks, catch 22 tbh, job center disagrees with DWP WCA assessment findings, so no job coach as they say i'm not well or fit enough to work, same from my Doctor, who wrote out a fit not stating the same and putting a phased return back into work with workplace adaptations needed on the fit note, so £72 a week instead of the massive £115 i was getting on the ESA lol.

but now i careless tbh, gone out and after 31 interviews found myself a job, not the best paid job in the world, but a job all the same, will get me out of the benefit trap and away from the DWP, training courses i've been on with the DWP over the last 20 years were a waste of space, and only gave out jobs to those running the courses and lead nobody i've ever spoke to back into work, from the long term unemployed, you get more help and chances coming out of prison than long term unemployed with how much help the DWP offer, your left on the scrap heap and just thought of as scum or worthless or job shy i've been called in the past, so again anything you want now days is down to yourself and off your own back, as no one will do much for you in regards of much help i'm sorry to say, so stay strong, healthy and best of all keep smiling, as the more they put you down, just keep looking back up and straight into their eyes, and now can't wait for the paperwork to come through the door and tell nearly all in the DWP to get stuffed, not needed anymore and smile, some i'll mention to privately as some have been very nice in a hard world and job, but most just look down there nose i';m sorry to say after 20 years in the system, and so glad and happy to be alive and almost out of it at last,....
  • Chloe_Scope
    Congratulations @zakblood!! This is amazing news! So happy for you. Merry Christmas to you as well!  :D
    Scope

• madness
    madness Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Know exactly where you coming from. I was unemployed over 14 years.  Now have lowest pay job possible. Am treated like a number 
  • zakblood
    i would have cleaned toilets by hand to get off the DWP hit list, so yes i'm more than happy to be productive and away from the benefit trap and also away from the countless and mostly pointless assessments, we will always be a number, that part will never change, but we don't have to treat others how we are treated ourselves, we can and do rise above it :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Congratulations @zakblood. As you say, it might not be your dream job but it’s something and now you’re back in employment, it might mean something more to your taste is now achievable.
    Good luck!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • zakblood
    no i'm fine doing whatever gets offered tbh, i applied to everything, from the lowest to the stupid ones, with no real chance in a million of getting, just did some for fun tbh, so more than happy to be back into work, even on the bottom run of the ladders is better than back with the DWP, thanks, i start on the 6 January with a 2 week training period, then still training in house for the next 6 months or so, before i'm really let loose, then it's up to me in what direction i take, and they fund the lot, so working and learning and still getting paid will be something new and to get used to
  • zakblood
    today got offered my work contract, but also after the medical questions etc, i'm thinking that i'm also now going to get sent to another medical, i've been open and honest and upfront from day one, had a condition that now the DWP and a WCA says i'm fit and well and ready for work, so here i am, test me!!!!!

lol will find it funny if i fail that one, when only in April i failed the DWP one also, now that will be a slap right in the face, and tbh not sure how i will handle that now also, so again now will just have to sit and wait, something i'm used to anyway
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    I'll cross my fingers for you @zakblood. I hope it pans out the way you're hoping.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • zakblood
    life has a way of going in it's own direction, taking me along for the ride, what will be will be, i'll still be alive and ok either way, so what hasn't broken me yet, won't do in the end no matter what direction the road takes me, i'll be fine thanks, while i'm not looking forward to the waiting, the journey is part of life and one of those many things we have to just get on with and live with tbh
  • zakblood
    well i passed my medical anyway, thanks that's one less thing to worry about 

Dear Sir/Madam

We have reviewed the Placement health questionnaire for the above individual and we can confirm the employee is fit, however they have identified a health concern and would benefit from the following :

• Conditions
      • Neurological

Further Notes: Assessed fit but reports suffering with migraines controlled with medication. Consideration should be given that the employee may require occasional Outpatient visits to monitor their health.

This is subject to any vaccination clearance/vaccination should this be a requirement of the role.

• Chloe_Scope
      Glad to hear this @zakblood
      Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.