What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Bedroom allowance for housing benefit

Aes525Aes525 Member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello there. I live in a 3 bedrooms house with my husband and 2 children (11 and 8). We receive housing benefit almost up to the 3 bedroom allowance for our area (this does not actually cover the cost of our private rent) I am just wondering if anyone knew the situation with bedroom allowance, as due to medical reasons, my husband and i do not share a bedroom so we have converted a downstairs room to a bedroom. We are in receipt of PIP. I've been informed that we should be entitled to the 4 bed rate for housing benefit if we can not share a room for medical reasons. Anyone know of that is the actually case?.
I don't want to ring the council and upset my claim if this is not the case.
Thank you

Replies

• Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    Can I check, are your children different genders? 
  • Aes525Aes525 Member Posts: 9 Listener
    Different genders. X
  • Hart86Hart86 Member Posts: 394 Pioneering
    Okay, so they’re entitled to a room each as one of them is older than 10.
    As you’re in receipt of PIP you can request an extra bedroom allowance for yourself if you can evidence that you have medical need of your own room (usually a GP letter is sufficient in addition to your PIP). Needing one downstairs isn’t always accepted as a reason but noise, space, detrimental effect of poor sleep etc are. Some staff are poorly trained in this area and will argue that you can’t get the 4bed rate because you’re only living in a 3 bed but this is incorrect. Once you’ve evidenced your need for an extra bedroom they should pay you the 4 bedroom rate. They certainly do on Universal Credit (it’s more obvious in the legislation for us though) but is the same on housing benefit. 
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 8,001

Scope community team

Hello @Aes525, I hope @Hart86 has managed to answer your query fully. Best of luck with getting the 4 bedroom rate, please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.