Unsuitable council flat — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unsuitable council flat

mbm
mbm Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all, I hope you are well! 

This is my first time on this website, I hope I am posting on the correct section. I'm actually here because I'm doing research for my course. I have to find out information about a scenario which is; A disabled lady living in an unsuitable council flat. I'd be very grateful if anyone could answer some questions for my paper. 

1. At the appointment where someone from the council comes to assess the flat what happens? Who attends this appointment (job title) 
 Are any questions asked (if so what)? 
2. What is the system and procedure after the appointment? 
3. What rights and entitlements does the lady have? 

Thank you for your time any information you can give will be greatly appreciated. 

Please feel free to ask me any questions. 

Thank you 

Mary 

Comments

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the Community and hi @mbm.  I don't live in a flat so can't comment on this, but I am sure one of the Community will relate to this scenario and be able to help you with your research.  Good luck with it and all the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    I think maybe an Occupational Therapist will come and access the home, as they did with me. They’ll try provide aids or adaptions to try keep her in her own home if not they’ll write a letter to the council requesting a move on health grounds they did with me ?
  • mbm
    Hi @Ails thank you! All the best to you too! 

@mercedesbd thank you so much for your response! you've given me information I can start working on! Do you mind if I ask you if there were any questions the occupational therapist asked you when he/she visited your home? xxxx
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    mbm said:
    Hi @Ails thank you! All the best to you too! 

@mercedesbd thank you so much for your response! you've given me information I can start working on! Do you mind if I ask you if there were any questions the occupational therapist asked you when he/she visited your home? xxxx
    It was 2 lovely ladies. They asked what medical conditions I had but they already had them. They also asked how the home is affecting my life . I had stairs and I told them my body’s weak so I can’t pull myself up even with rails and I can’t walk down them as my legs give way so they said a bungalow will be needed. Bath adaptions and bed adaptions they gave me pillow lifter to get me out the bed that’s for the very bad days. They only ask how it’s affecting you and they get the report done very fast within 5 days of the council getting my report I had an offer of a new home but I declined it Cos it’s not we’re I wanted to be they then discharged me I appealed and they overturned the decision because I had very good grounds. Still waiting for an offer xx
  • mbm
    @mercedesbd thank you so much for taking the time to reply! I can apply some of this info to my paper. I wish you all the best and I hope you get an offer very soon!  :* xxx
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    A occupational therapist helped me. After I provided them all the relevant information they helped me find a new flat. They will write the council a letter only as a last ditch option to tell them of your move.
    First they will try to recommend useful equipment. The report does not take long. We received ours within a week of the assessment. 
  • mbm
     Hi @April2018mom thank you so much for your response! Im assuming they visited you at your home? If so did they ask you any other questions other than the ones mentioned above (how the home is affecting you + what medical conditions you have) any questions asked whether they seem relevant or not will be helpful for me to know. 

In terms of the report is that sent to the council directly, do you also get a copy? 

Thank you for your time!! xxx
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    mbm said:
     Hi @April2018mom thank you so much for your response! Im assuming they visited you at your home? If so did they ask you any other questions other than the ones mentioned above (how the home is affecting you + what medical conditions you have) any questions asked whether they seem relevant or not will be helpful for me to know. 

In terms of the report is that sent to the council directly, do you also get a copy? 

Thank you for your time!! xxx
    No problem. 
    Now let me see if I can answer your questions one by one:

1-My stepdaughter helped me. She distracted my two so that I could concentrate on the assessment.
    2- Yes they came to my apartment to do a assessment. They discussed my son’s disability and birth defect and I was asked several questions. Then they offered recommendations on equipment that might be helpful. 
    3- Before they left I requested a copy of their assessment report. They were happy to email me a copy a week later. I printed off a copy for filing. I file all copies of paperwork in a file just in case. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @mbm and welcome to the community.
    I hope the responses have been useful to you.
    What sort of course are you studying?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.