AFO advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

AFO advice

JanetZ
JanetZ Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I just picked up my AFO brace today. A lot of tears flowed down my face because of it. I know it's a device to help you get better but it's an adjustmen . Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
Like how to get used to it better
Does anyone wear short socks with theres
Shoes! I wear 11 and already had a red spot being to tight. Even my big toe hits the front now. I was told to wear a mesh shoe for more give and to go to a 11 1/2 wide shoe. Anyone else have to go up a size?
This is all new to me due to 2 back surgeries. One causing neur6in my left big toe and part of arch. Hence the drop foot and need for AFO  to get my leg and ankle stronge  and walk the right way since neuropathy causes me to walk on outside of foot. 
So as I said and info would be great

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JanetZ and a very warm welcome to the community! I wore AFO splints as a child and have recently started wearing them as an adult. I can understand and relate to the emotions often associated with getting splints and I hope this is something that eases over time. 

I tend to wear shoes that are one or two sizes bigger, with wide fit shoes working the best. It's also good if you can take the insole out of the shoes as it gives you a bit more room for the splints. Over the years I have managed to find brogues, converse and doc martin boots which seem to suit most occasions! I also know that trainers are easier with AFO's (just not the style of shoe I normally would go for!). 

I know some people can only wear longer socks with their AFO but I have always found that short socks work just fine for me. I guess it is all personal preference! I did find my splints needed altering after initially getting them as there were areas that were rubbing and this shouldn't be happening.  

If I can help with anything else then please do let me know! I have found mine revolutionary for my mobility despite it taking a while to get used to them and accept they are there.

Scope

• niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Hi I have cp and have worn splints most of my life. @JanetZ the best shoes I have found are trail shoes from outdoor stores like mountain warehouse. They are made quite roomy as your feet spread while hiking.
    @Chloe_Scope how do you find getting brogues on over splints? I really struggle to get smart shoes to go over my splints that really go well with the suit trousers I like to wear. I need a fairly low opening shoe and have very wide feet, due to a bunion, so am very limited! I’d love a smart pair of brogues or dr martens! I wear Piedro boots which are really expensive and they’ve recently changed their styles which doesn’t help!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.