Ask your questions about UnLtd — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ask your questions about UnLtd

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
edited July 2019 in Coffee lounge
Today @Adam_UnLtd will be answering your questions about UnLtd's plans to find, fund and support social entrepreneurs with ideas to help disabled people into work.

The Foundation for Social Entrepreneurs awards grants to people with enterprising ideas to make the world a better place. They call these people social entrepreneurs: if you feel compelled to address a social issue, and you want to build a social business – one that has a way of financing its operations, then you might be eligible for UnLtd funding.

Unemployment has been steadily falling in the UK, yet not everyone who wants to work can gain appropriate, meaningful work. According to Scope, disabled people are twice as likely to be unemployed as non-disabled people.

UnLtd know that people have enterprising ideas to change this and in the past 12 months, they've already supported over 20 people with ideas to address the disability employment gap. All the Award Winners receive a combination of cash and support to help you develop resilient, impactful social ventures. Now UnLtd are looking for more applications. If you have an idea to help disabled people into work, e.g. through paid employment, quality training & skills, meaningful work experience, vocational education & apprenticeships, recruitment services, or influencing more inclusive workplace practices, then UnLtd would love to hear from you!

The first stage of the three-stage application process is an Expression of Interest, which you can complete UnLtd's website. The second stage involves completing a few further questions online, and the final stage will involve you speaking with UnLtd, discussing your idea and answering some questions.

The deadline for Expressions of Interest is 19th July 2019.

If you have any access requirements call 0800 917 7113 or email AwardsApplications@UnLtd.org.uk

Do you have any questions about UnLtd's awards? Simply tag @Adam_UnLtd into your comments below and he'll be happy to answer them!
Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Adam_UnLtd
    Adam_UnLtd Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Hart86,

Great question – thanks for asking!

It certainly could, in fact we are working with several social entrepreneurs currently that are doing both.

We would very much welcome ideas for business that hire disabled candidates and/or offer flexible and accessible opportunities.

• Adam_UnLtd
    Options

Hi again @Hart86,

Unfortunately, the deadline for this year is the 19th July. That said this is a three-year programme (We are in the second year)

The first stage is just to submit an expression of interest – this is 5 simple questions about you, the problem you are tackling and your idea. This can be done here - https://www.unltd.org.uk/our-support/our/closing-the-disability-employment-gap/

We don’t expect you to have it all worked out and our 12 months of support is designed to help you develop your idea.

If you wanted to talk through your idea once you have done a bit more thinking then please do feel free to make contact by calling 0800 917 7113 or emailing AwardsApplications@UnLtd.org.uk just mention my name and this conversation.

• brickfd
    brickfd Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi @Adam_Unltd
    is this like a competition and just 1 person will be awarded?? Sorry if I’ve misunderstood ??
  • Adam_UnLtd
    Options
    Hi @brickfd,
    Thanks for your question.

Although the process is a competitive one we are looking to work with a group of people so we will be making more than one Award of support and grant funding.

• Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options
    i have come late to this post so not sure it will be answer, I am interested in the health and fitness market, as a wheelchair user I find gyms to be lacking in equipment and knowledge to fully assist disabled people unless they are at elite level, I envisage a community space which offers disabled people employent in this sector as well as allowing them more options to exercise which can be a challenge for many, i would like the space to also offer, diet and welness advice and possibly  a social space too, would something like this be considered? 

it is purely an idea at the moment of course and I dont have a business background.
  • Adam_UnLtd
    Options
    Hi @Garza,

Thanks for your question.

Your idea probably does not fit well with this programme because of the specific focus on closing the disability employment gap.

UnLtd does have open Awards and we are always looking for people to come forward with enterprising solutions to social issues, particularly where they have direct lived experience.

I would encourage you to take a look at the UnLtd Do It Award -  more info here - https://www.unltd.org.uk/our-support/starting-up/

No business background required as we offer 12 months of support.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.