In need of advice — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

In need of advice

qwerty9 Member Posts: 2 Listener
I'd be grateful for your view on our current situation regarding the disabled facilities grant. We own our own home, it is a town house over 3 floors, on a steep hill, with a steep driveway.

My wife was taken ill suddenly in 2017, she spent 9 month in hospital. Her illness resulted in permanent paralysis (T9), severe visual impairment and also mild cognitive problems. She uses a wheelchair and needs a hoist for transfers. 

Before her hospital discharge, a referral was made to the accessible homes team in regards to a DFG application. They sent out a surveyor and an OT. The OT didn't say much but the surveyor looked over the house and concluded that it is not feasible to adapt and we should not apply for a grant as it would be rejected. He advised me to buy a bungalow.

I do agree that the house is not feasible to adapt. It would require a step lift in the garden to get access into the house, a lift from ground floor to 1st floor and from 1st floor to 2nd floor (kids bedrooms). There are also steps from the kitchen to the hall way. The cost would be excessive. 

A few months after this initial referral, I made another referral as I couldn't quite believe that the dfg was of no help to us. The same OT and surveyor came out and reiterated their same stance: don't apply for the dfg as your property is too unsuitable for a disabled person. Buy a bungalow. 

So for the last 18 months my wife has been confined to the downstairs. The downstairs office is now her bedroom and she can only go into our kitchen via a temporary ramp. No accessible bathroom. Bed baths only.

My question is: can the dfg assist us financially with moving house? Does it not contain a contingency for people that own a home that isn't feasible to adapt? Who is the dfg for if it cant help us!

Many thanks 


  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @qwerty9

    A very warm welcome.

    I have not heard of a “surveyor” attending an assessment, for a DFG.

    It is usually an OT, then followed by financial assessment, as the grant is means tested.

    There are no provisions in the scheme, to fund a house move.

    You may wish to seek face to face advice, from a local welfare rights organisation how best to resolve matters.
  • qwerty9
    qwerty9 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited July 2019
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @qwerty9

    I have not heard of a “surveyor” attending an assessment, for a DFG.

    Hi @atlas46 I believe a surveyor attended because they knew significant building works were needed on the property. 

  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,868 Connected

    This is going to be a detailed response. For a DFG usually a occupational therapist comes followed up by a financial evaluation. Then a decision is made.
    As far as I know, the scheme does not offer provision for house moves. The means test is used to determine what and how you will pay. For more information see this link on Scope
    You will have to obtain two quotes or estimates. Last summer we looked into the process. Your local council should be able to answer your questions in more detail.  
    A response must come within six months from your local council. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.