What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

please help

diane1981diane1981 Member Posts: 51 Courageous
i have currently been on esa ( income related i think ) in the support group, had my work capability assessment and surprise surprise i score no points and deemed fit for work, i suffer from mental health problems and as much as i would love to work i know within myself i simply am not ready. they advised me to apply for universal credit, this alone has had me climbing the walls all day with severe worry, to the extent i cut my arms.  i dont know what to do...... i help look after my gran and was told to apply for carers allowance. i dont understand this whole new system. if i get universal credit and apply for carers allowance will they take that amount off my universal credit payment ? can i reapply for esa ? or go onto universal credit and have to provide sick notes from gp .  some one please advise me ?


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm sorry to hear this.

    For the ESA you need to request the mandatory reconsideration (MR) within 1 month of the date of the decision. You should put this in writing stating which group you think you should be in and your reasons why. Any relevant evidence you have to support your claim should be sent with the letter because they very rarely contact anyone for evidence.

    Most MR decisions remain the same so you'll most likely have to take it to Tribunal. If the MR stays the same then once the Tribunal accept your appeal then you can go back onto assessment rate for ESA with sick notes from your GP but they will need to be dated from the date you were found fit for work.

    If you claim Universal credit you won't be able to go back onto ESA ever.

    Claiming carers allowance and UC means the carers allowance will be deducted £1 for £1 from the Universal credit payment. You can claim the carers element of UC without claiming carers allowance. To claim these your gran must be claiming a qualifying benefit such as DLA mid/high rate care or attendance allowance but you need to check what benefits she's receiving before you claim any of these. If your gran is claiming severe disability premium then claiming carers allowance or the carers element will affect this money she may claim.

    I would advise you to get some face to face advice from an agency near you, like CAB, welfare rights or a law centre. This link will help find whats local to you. https://advicelocal.uk/

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,953

    Scope community team

    edited July 2019
    I'm so sorry this has had you so worried @diane1981. Your best bet is to seek some good advice as Poppy has recommended. However, if you feel an urge to self-harm again, please consult MIND's information about helping yourself now and if you feel like you're struggling with your mental health and need to talk to someone, it's really important you speak to someone qualified and able to assist you, so please give Samaritans a call on 116 123 or email them at [email protected]
    Of course, if you ever think you might be a danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital.
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    @diane1981 Please try your best not to hurt yourself. If you have to (I do it too, so I know that sometimes it's the safest option) please try to do as little damage as possible, take care of the wounds afterward, and disinfect. If you have anyone who could help, and you feel OK contacting them, please do!

    These assessments are so incredibly stressful, and getting refused, never mind being given 0 points (basically saying that you're fine and lying?!?!), is very difficult! Two things to remember: 1) It happens to a LOT of people (me, for example, and it knocked me for 6), and 2) It isn't personal. They seem to pick people who have invisible disabilities/mental illnesses to do it to most of the time, but they do it to people with very obvious conditions (in wheelchairs! terminal illnesses!) sometimes as well. Sometimes  As far as I can tell, it's partly rank incompetence and partly a purposeful attempt to make us give up on getting the benefit.

    @poppy123456 gives great advice! We're also here to help.

    Good luck, and take care!

Sign in or join us to comment.