Triggers****CSA****Self Harm/Suicidal Behaviour — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Triggers****CSA****Self Harm/Suicidal Behaviour

HollyGCat
HollyGCat Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
I have CPTSD with Dissociation, BPD under this...and all that goes with these. Unhealthy relationship with food, self-harm, avoidance, anxiety (extreme) and managed depression (sort of). 

I think, having been in therapy for three years. I have been dissociating for years to a lesser or greater degree at various points.

My history is not nice and probably I would worry putting any detail on here for myself and others. I recognise triggers for dissociation and mentioning my childhood into adulthood where I was SA and uncared for could be damaging.

I found two diaries recently in my attic. Written over 35 years ago. Both diaries are dated in the same time frame. One includes distressing information which, I cannot say I recall all of. The other is written as though my childhood was 'happy'. I think I must have been keeping these two diaries at the same time. This is where my question lies.

The CPTSD with Dissociation suggests that if I understand correctly, that there are not two different (distinctive) identities. That somehow one is aware of the other. I do not feel like this. I feel like one part stopped and another started, but that although they were not named differently, they were different, different memories which the other has no memory of. Sometimes I feel like one of these (13 year old child) overtakes my ability to behave a certain way. She is also enraged. 

I feel like I have no control and despite real attempts to stop whatever follows; I fail. I consequently have come close to death, in ICU, etc...I have attempted to jump from a moving ambulance, ran into traffic and worse with absolutely no memory of it

Often with no memory or flashes alone. 

When I read DID. This makes more sense to me, but I am told that the dissociation is a symptom of the trauma and not a diagnosis of DID. I am really confused by this due to my belief that the 'aged children/adults' who appear to behave age appropriately are distinctly different to the now me.

I lost a successful career due to my MH. I am sorry to hear of the struggles your wife has had with her physical and mental health, and your own. I think you volunteering your time to help/support people like us is so fantastic especially given I can see from my own husbands tiredness that doing this and caring for someone is....hard.

Anyway, wondered if you can explain why I am being diagnosed with 'dissociation' as a symptom as opposed to DID? 

Please feel free to tell me if I have started the thread wrongly.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.