ESA50 & Chronic Migraine Help? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA50 & Chronic Migraine Help?

Options
quixotic
quixotic Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some advice, I have an ESA50 to fill in. I suffer from Chronic Migraine and I am really struggling to answer most if not all of the questions in the physical functions part of the questionnaire, for example, the question asking if I can reach with my arm or lift my arm high enough to put something in a pocket, none of the physical questions seem in any way relatable to anyone suffering from any sort of chronic headache disorder, I don't know if it's just the medication I'm on making my mind blank but I'm just at a loss in how to answer these questions relating to my health issue, I've also had a look at the descriptors and it seems like they are very specific to the questions, again, in no way relatable to a chronic headache condition, therefore no points will be scored. I just find it utterly mad that because I can lift my arm/reach that it somehow means I do not have a debilitating condition and therefore wouldn't qualify for ESA.

I'd appreciate if anyone could offer me any advice or know of any websites that are related to migraine/chronic headaches that have any advice or help in filling in this form in relation to that condition.

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome, you have answered the question yourself. The ESA assessment is to assces if you are fit and capable of work as you state you can preform all the descriptiors which don't make an allowance for your medical conditions, constant migraines. Have you got a medical report, diagnosis or a doctors letter to support your claim??, I am sure other will give their advice and opinion. Have you seen your local Cab.?? 
  • quixotic
    quixotic Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome, you have answered the question yourself. The ESA assessment is to assces if you are fit and capable of work as you state you can preform all the descriptiors which don't make an allowance for your medical conditions, constant migraines. Have you got a medical report, diagnosis or a doctors letter to support your claim??, I am sure other will give their advice and opinion. Have you seen your local Cab.?? 

So because I can lift my arm above my head and chop a carrot I would not quality for ESA? seems ridiculous. Yes I have years of medical history documenting my illness and a few consultants which I regularly see, I am also awaiting appointments but that only goes so far, especially as none of these questions in any way relate to anyone with a chronic headache disorder. CAB were not of much help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

It's not about a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect your ability to do any type of work and this is what they will assess you on. This means it's about the work you can do and not the work you can't do.

For Support Group, it's not about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least one of those descriptors the majority of the time. Support Group descriptors here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

If none of the descriptors apply to you then they will look at substantial risk, which is reg 29/35.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @quixotic and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry you haven't felt the form suits your very valid needs, I imagine this is frustrating! I hope the advice provided has been helpful. If you need anything else then please do let us know!
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.