housing benefit

jules331
jules331 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
can housing benefit use my sons pip to calculate my benefit I might add that my son is downs syndrome and receives the high rate of pip for care and mobility he has recently gone on to universal credit and housing benefit has added both of his benefits together and lowered my housing benefit

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Empowering
    Hi @jules331
    I may be wrong but I was always led to believe that PIP is not counted as income when calculating housing benefit. I would give your council a ring tomorrow and enquire.It May be an oversight it can happen or it may be because it’s not your PIP but your sons.
    it Cant hurt to check.
          Debsidoo.x
  • jules331
    Thanks for your answer I will contact them tomorrow
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,491 Championing
    Hi,

Are you sure his PIP was used to calculate your housing benefit? If your son is under 25 then there should be no deductions from your housing benefit if he doesn't receive any earned income.

Do you claim PIP daily living or DLA care?

See link and scroll down to housing benefit. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/non-dependants

• jules331
    My son receives high rate of care and mobility and yes that have calculated my benefit to include my sons pip
  • jules331
    Thankyou very much for info I will ring them in the morning
  • poppy123456
    If he's over 25 then there should only be a deduction of £15.25 per week. More if you're renting from social housing and are subject to the bedroom tax. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/housing_benefit_deductions_when_living_with_non-dependants

• jules331
    He is under 25 and I live in a council house
  • poppy123456
    Then there shouldn't be any deductions because of your son.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Community member Posts: 149 Empowering
    Every time I talk to anyone about PIP I am told it's not included in anything too - so I am sure their maths is wrong and please do challenge it!
  • jules331
    Thankyou all so much for your reply’s very helpful ?