Pip backdated — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip backdated

Options
ben22
ben22 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all. New here so please go easy. I'm undergoing treatment for a grade 3 brain cancer and am getting pip. I've seen that a few people have had their pip backdated all the way to diagnosis even if the claim was put in a while afterward. Has anyone had that happen? Any advice much appreciated. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @ben22, PIP is not about a diagnosis, disability or medical conditions, it about your abilities to preform the daily living activities known as the PIP descriptors. And preforming these in a safe and timely manner and repeatedly for 50% of your daily life. Receiving back dated PIP award payment is a new one to me.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @ben22 - I've never heard about that either but I'll monitor this post just in case I'm due 10 years back payments!

• ben22
    ben22 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I had someone from Macmillan nurses say they had a friend who's aa was backdated to diagnosis and I've seen somewhere online but nothing solid. I didnt get an answer from pip so I'll chase them up. 
  • benahan
    benahan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    95% sure that PIP is only ever backdated to the point of claim: assuming that these cases are situational and have been deemed appropriate under special circumstances I.e. terminal illness, severity of illness at the time of claim, diagnosis changes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You definitely can’t have a benefit backdated before you claimed it, I have no idea where you heard this from but it’s not correct. If this was the case then DWP would be owing people thousands. 

Its only possible for a claim to be backdated from the date you started your claim, providing you aren’t transferring from DLA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.