Pathological demand avoidance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pathological demand avoidance

JessJjsMum Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi my son is 11...and after researching PDA I'm 90% sure my son has that profile... does anyone have any advice on how to manage it?


  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2019
    This is going to be quite a long post.
    Contact the NAS for advice. They can answer your questions and provide information. Is he at school or not? If not ask the GP to refer you to a autism specialist for further assessment and diagnosis. Make a list of what you have been noticing in your child. Do you have a social worker or not? 
    Make sure your questions are answered. Inquire about support groups for parents. Get their details then contact them for support and help. Phone up your local council to make a formal assessment request. Or email. 
    Use the directory found at to find appropriate services for your child as well. Take care of yourself as well. Do you have other children or not? Look into respite care. Again your council can help you with that. Look on the website. Join a online forum for support or guidance.
    Spend time alone. Go for walks alone. Use any opportunity offered to take care of yourself. Nap, shower etc. Get relatives to support you. Talk to other families affected by autism. 
    Also see about direct payments. You can use them to help build his confidence up in social situations like parties etc. Check out this useful info sheet on friendships -
    Get a carer assessment pronto. Have you applied for DLA yet? You can use the money in ways that benefit him. We also applied and were awarded but my son does not have autism so how we use it is different. I hope you get the support needed.
    Use the money to pay for his therapy and social skill classes. You could also spend the money on things like a pair of noise cancelling headphones etc. I recommend getting help to complete the application form. 

  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,615 Scope online community team
    Hi @JessJjsMum
    Welcome to the community!
    There are some really great resources and tips on managing PDA at home and out and about from the PDA Society

    We also have lots of very friendly and knowledgeable members who will help.
    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.