Living with a partner — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Living with a partner

Ness1966 Member Posts: 1 Listener
my partner is on income related ESA and has moved in with me, she is placed in Support Group. I work full time for 37 hours a week, she is concerned how this will affect her benefits. Can anyone please advise


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,427 Disability Gamechanger

    If all of her ESA is Income Related then she will need to report those changes ASAP to DWP and her ESA will stop. You working full time will mean she won't be entitled to any ESA but she'll continue to receive NI credits towards her state pension.

    If part of is is Contributions based then she'll continue to receive this and just the Income Related part will stop.

    Whether you'll both be entitled to Universal Credit will depend on your circumstances. Popping both of your details into a benefits calculator will tell you what you maybe able to claim.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.