WCA Assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

WCA Assesment

smithy75 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi there, I have a work capability assessment on Monday next week but I am unable to attend. Is it possible to rearrange with universal credit or will I be sanctioned.


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,595 Scope online community team
    Hello @smithy75 and welcome to the community. 
    It's always best to attend if you can find a way. You can usually rearrange once without problem (but need a good reason). If you try and cancel or rearrange a second time they can find you fit for work as a result. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,706 Disability Gamechanger

    You can cancel only 1 assessment, if you haven't previously canceled one then it will be fine, you just need to ring the number on the top of the appointment letter. Do make sure that you can attend the next appointment before accepting it.

    Good luck.
  • smithy75
    smithy75 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for your quick replies. do you know how long it will take once ive had the assessment for a decision to be made? So stressed out at the moment. I have been on universal credit submitting sick notes since 1st august last year. if I am successful in the wca is there a backpayment due? thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,706 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. Decision times vary depending on backlog in your area but there's no timescales.

    If you're given LCWRA then you'll receive backdated money (£336) backdated to the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent in your first fit note.

    If you're given LCW then you won't receive any backdated money and your money will remain the same.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.