Pip physiotherapy — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Pip physiotherapy

starlight33 Member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi. What are people's  experiences of approaching  this question? As many of you know  with  a long term  neurological condition such as CP, you don't have routine reviews. If you have had considerable amounts of physiotherapy, but are not currently in the  care of a physio, can you still get points, if you still follow an exercise program, as best you can? 
I have a letter from my previous physio to say that it is essential but she hasn't commented any further, as i haven't  seen her recently.  Will i have to  get a referral to aphysio to get proof of an exercise program?


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    @starlight33, PIP is a benefit to help you with your daily living activities and mobility In relation to the PIP descriptiors. It has no bearing on your disability, illness, medication or exercises you do. You are assessed on your ability to preform the PIP descriptiors in a safley, repeatably and in a timely manner. Giviing  such evidence will help the acessor understand your abilities in relation to the PIP descriptiors. 
  • starlight33
    starlight33 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi. I understand that but I'm just wondering if you need recent evidence of a physio plan to prove the need to do physiotherapy?
  • starlight33
    starlight33 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    All i have is a letter saying physiotherapy is essential but no other details
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,447 Disability Gamechanger

    Are you talking about activity 3, managing and monitoring a health condition? If so..

    manage therapeutic activities that are carried out in a domestic setting that are prescribed or recommended by a registered doctor, nurse, pharmacist or health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council;

    Without any of which their health is likely to deteriorate.

    This activity only applies to medication or therapy delivered in the home environment i.e. where the claimant lives (and may include care homes).

    Do you need to use an aid to complete the therapy or need assistance/prompting or supervision?

    Take a look at this link for the daily living activities. It will give you more of an understanding of the descriptors, criteria and what it means.


  • starlight33
    starlight33 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    @poppy123456 and  @ilovecats Yes supervision and assistance, but the letter i have from the previous physio doesn't include how long i need to  do it or what help needed, just that it's essential. Will it go against me scoring points if not recently been assessed by a physiotherapist. However, previous exercises are still relevant to preventing deterioration.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,447 Disability Gamechanger
    All i can advise is that you send that evidence, if you don't send it then it can't be used.
  • Louise2001
    Louise2001 Posts: 24 Connected
    Send evidence by recorded delivery. Only then will they look at it and decide in your favor. Good luck! Do keep us posted on what happens next. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,447 Disability Gamechanger
    Evidence doesn't need to be sent recorded delivery because it's a total waste of money. Proof of posting is just as good and free. Recorded signed for delivery doesn't mean it gets there any faster. It's signed for by someone from Royal Mail sorting office and not someone from DWP and could be anywhere. It's not classed as arriving until it's added onto the computer.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Member Posts: 987 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppy's correct.... according to my postman if you send anything recorded to organisations that get masses of mail - such as HMRC, DWP - the postie puts it all into several sacks, and then signs to say that he's taken the aforementioned sacks and delivered them. No one signs to receive it...


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.