Post 16 residential setting with one to one support DWP now want to stop PIP daily living benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Post 16 residential setting with one to one support DWP now want to stop PIP daily living benefits

yorkie Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone I am hoping some one can help me? YP has mental health disability, the YP's mental health has improved but they still need the same looking after and will now be going in to supported living but under post 16 residential setting with the aim for the YP to achieve independency. The DWP are looking at this as a supported living arrangement similar to a care home, that would mean the daily living support that the YP currently gets would stop. Can someone tell me if they have had experience of this and if the DWP would be correct? kind regards


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Yorkie and a very warm welcome to the community! Would they be in the supported living most of the time?

    Here is similar discussion which you might be interested in:

  • yorkie
    yorkie Member Posts: 2 Listener
    hello thank you for getting back to me they would have home visits but it is a short term placement for up to 6 months
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,407 Disability Gamechanger

    This will totally depend on who's paying the cost of the funding for the residential school. If the local authority are paying the costs of this then the PIP daily living will stop after 4 weeks. It can be paid if your child returns home.

    If you are paying the cost then you can continue to receive payment of the daily living award.

    Mobility PIP isn't affected.

    See this CPAG link for confirmation and explanation of everything you need to know. For the PIP, you need to click on the "non means tested" benefits at the top.

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @yorkie, no problem at all! This something that may be worth seeking face to face advice for, but I hope others might be able to share their experiences with you :)

    You can find local advice here:

  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,872 Connected
    Hi @yorkie
    Do you have a social worker or not? I would have a discussion with them about this. 
  • mermaidmom
    mermaidmom Member Posts: 5 Connected
    Hi my daughter is in residential but comes home for weekend stays. After 28 days of being in their care setting, yes the daily living payments stop, it’s same under DLA. This is when the YP is funded by health and/or social care and education( if applicable). If self funded the parent/carer if an appointee, receive the benefit or the young person will ( providing they have capacity). 
    My daughter is deemed ‘ looked after’ as is fully funded by my local Authority and they have a duty of care to provide care for her.
    My advice is check out with the social worker where the YP stands. They can apply for ESA or UC at 16 I believe. 
    They are entitled to receive their daily living component for time spent at home/away from the care home. Supported living, their care component is taken and used towards care costs. I have not gone this route as yet, but I believe all of it is taken. Many of my friends with older kids in that scenario have said that they are left with very little to live on, they can receive their mobility part but that’s not great if  they need a vehicle to travel in ( my daughter not safe on public transport!). 
    Its a mine field but have a look on under disability benefits and the criteria for applying for certain benefits is on there.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.