Doctor won't give me letter of support — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Doctor won't give me letter of support

leonas Member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi all my hubby is writing to dwp for reconsideration with his pip which they have removed his mobility he is on morphine for the pain he broke his back 30yrs ago he also has mental health issues the report said even although he is on high perscribed medication for it he can wiggle his toes and rotate his head they say he is fit and well they also say he is not on any anti depression tablets he takes sertraline 2 every day which his pycatrist perscribed for him but dwp say they are not anti depresses medication I rang the docs for a letter to attached to his appeal and they refused this can anyone help I am lost for what to do the receptionist said that the doctor can't be bothered as its to much trouble and takes to long has anyone else had problems thanks Leona x


  • cristobal
    cristobal Member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @leonas - I think that I read somewhere that GPs aren't contracted to do this ...

    I'll try and find it again...
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,451 Disability Gamechanger

    Some GPs and Consultants will refuse to write a supporting letter for benefit purposes claiming they don't have the time to do this. A letter from a GP isn't the greatest evidence to send either to be honest. They only ever know the basics like what medication they take and past appointments they've attended. They very rarely know how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors.

    My advice is your husband will be better of requesting his medical records from his GP and see if there's anything in there he can use as evidence. It's free to request digital copies of your medical records but you'll most likely have to pay for paper copies.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    @leonas - here it is from the BMA website.....

    "With certain limited exceptions, for example a GP confirming that one of their patients is not fit for jury service, GPs do not have to carry out non-NHS work on behalf of their patients. 

    Whilst GPs will always attempt to assist their patients with the completion of forms, for example for insurance purposes, they are not required to do such non-NHS work."

    It seems that whether they write reports, and how much they charge, is a matter for individual GPs/ practices...

  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leonas, I understand how frustrating this is. Like @poppy123456 has said, you can request a digital copy of your records for free. This will allow you see if there is any medical information which will support your claim. I hope you manage to sort this :) 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.