Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.


longwait Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Firstly hello all, im new on here and this is my first post so please be gentle with me if i dont come across right.

The thing is i had a PIP assessment which actually started on Jan 06 2019 , and i only got to have my face to face assessment a few week ago.  I got awarded Enhanced for my disability and Standard for the other. 
Well  after 6 month of stress i have now only 3-4 week after getting my results from PIP i now have the DWP and ESA sending me a form out to fill out. I had to get help, i went to a local Disability Solutions and they kindly helped me, and the lady who helped picked up on something from my PIP results and that was 1- I could not walk 20 or might of been 50 metres without help , which is true and they gave me top marks for that which would of given me 12points i was told. 
I do have quite a few illnesses's one being a "degenerative disc problem" and since they last saw me when only 3 discs had generated, well all my discs have now degenerated and my back is beyond repair according to the surgeon, had all my meds upped because of the pain etc, and i am in a lot more pain than i was last time i saw the ESA. 
Well what id like to ask is firstly surely when i have to go for my medical the person who takes it should know degenerative means only to get worse, its never going to get better so how can they expect me to go and they say or think my condition has improved, can they put me in the JSA group (workgroup) Also with it only being recently that PIP awarded me enhanced can the DWP dismiss what PIP have said , and drop my money and put me in the workgroup , even though i and PIP know i am not fit to work.
I also have Spondylosis of the left shoulder going into my neck, tennis elbow on the same side, osteoarthritis in my thumbs and hips, Diabetes which is not sadly well-controlled, Ive suffered with anxiety and depression for years ever since i lost all my family within 18 months of each other , my marriage split, i lost my job through ill health, id worked there nearly 12 year, i loved it , i was casting, heavy but a great job. I also have liver problems even though i don't drink. And recently ive been diagnosed with Pernicious Anemia, and been put on injections for life. What a horrible condition it is, some days it renders me helpless with not enough energy to hardly move all i do is drop sleep, the symptoms are quite bad and reading forums about it, it is a dilapidating illness.  
Oh dear, sorry to of gone on, im just so anxious and stressed that this is what i do, then fall asleep, because it wears me out. 
So could anyone please help me on the 2 questions i would hopefully like to get a bit of feedback. 
1-Can the DWP /ESA  put you in a workgroup after PIP has just awarded you Enhanced Disability 
2- And can they overrule PIPS answers for instance where they agree i cannot walk far unaided? 

Thank you all in advance for reading, and thank you in advance if i do get some helpful feedback 

Great group and thank you for accepting me. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,151 Disability Gamechanger

    PIP and ESA are different benefits with different criteria. Once a decision's been made on your work capability assessment you could either be kept in the Support Group, be moved to the WRAG or even be found fit for work.

    The mobilising descriptor for ESA Support Group takes into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair, PIP doesn't consider this. So, not only do you have to you can't walk the distance, you also have to prove you can't use a self propel wheelchair. Remember, ESA is about the work you can do and not the work you can't do and this is what they'll assess you with.

    PIP isn't about working.

    When you fill out the ESA50 form you should put as much information as possible about how your conditions affect you and concentrate on the reasons why you were previously placed into the support group. Send evidence to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this.

    Expect a face to face assessment because most people have them, it's rare to have a paper based assessment.

    Do make sure the form is returned no later than the date stated in the letter. There's no extension of time for returning the ESA50 form. If it's not returned by the date stated you could be found fit for work for failing to return the form.

    There's no timescales for how long the process will take, if an assessment is needed they will send you an appointment by letter. If a home assessment is needed then you'll need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why you can't attend an assessment centre. If you attend other appointments then this can go against you when requesting a home assessment.

    Good luck.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • longwait
    longwait Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you very much for all the brilliant information Poppy. I will have a good read through the links you have left .
    Once again thank you :D
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.