WHERE to find the most accurate help filling in PIPS form..not CAB Pls! - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WHERE to find the most accurate help filling in PIPS form..not CAB Pls!

2»

Comments

• Opus
    Opus Posts: 47 Courageous
    cristobal said:
    Opus said:

You make it seem all so simple!

The only reason I post on here is that I believe that there are quite a few genuine claimants who should get PIP and fail because they aren't good at filling out forms. To me that's a disgrace, and even worse when you consider that some people suffer from mental health issues which makes motivating yourself, concentrating and accurately completing an application very difficult. It's the perfect 'Catch 22'...

Sadly, one of the things I'm quite good at is form filling. I learnt a lot from my boss whose mantra was "Keep it to the point and always make it easy for the person reading it." So here's what he would advise!

Read the descriptors so you know what is required (like in an exam - you don't score if you don't answer the question)

Then go through them one by one on a separate sheet for each.

'Preparing food' is good example - tell them how you can/can't chop vegetables, use the hob or microwave, whether you need aids - like a stool to sit on or special utensils, or whether, if you have a more hidden condition, you need someone to motivate you to do it when you're down, or not able to concentrate or fatigued.

DO NOT tell them that you can't get food out of the oven, and you struggle to take the the food to the dining room, because these are NOT considered. (Neither are going upstairs to the loo, nor shaving nor drying yourself after a bath...)

When you've done - and it might take you several days - read through what you've written. Ask yourself whether it's all relevant. If it's not then cut it out.

My personal opinion - and is just that - is that you only need two, or maximum three, examples for each descriptor. If you have more make sure that they ADD something. For example, you might say that you cannot chop veg because an arthritic hand means that you can't grip and also you can't lift a saucepan but then use something different such as having to sit because of xx, or you can't cook because you don't get out of bed for days on end because you're depressed...

I don't believe that there's a need to add masses of medical notes unless they specifically support what you can/can't do. I have a diagnosed neurological condition which was covered in one page,and is not disputable.

The advantage to being concise and accurate is that the assessor who picks up your file will smile, have a cup of coffee and read your well constructed application that isn't padded out with fifty pages of waffle. You've made it easy for them to give you what you want. The rest is up to them but if it doesn't work you haven't lost anything...

It doesn't have to be complicated but it can take a bit of time and effort...
    Regrettably for me...ive waffled!...

I'll have to see if ive placed them into a coma or they just barely read any!

Its certainly a bonus is i was to get help...especially the mobility aspect..but even people that win tribunals...ive heard ,have had it taken away some months later....its like a wobbly jelly....it can go at any time!....dont rock the boat...dont assume its forever....and not even for a year....think ourselves fortunate i guess..however long it lasts...

ps....would they accommodate the "waffle" considering i have cognitive and neurological issues? 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @opus - you're welcome!

I forgot my boss's most important piece of advice ;- NEVER assume anything!

Example - 'bathing' you might 'assume' is having a wash, shave, washing your hair, getting dried ...

But the gospel according to PIP doesn't agree - it isn't - so you'll have to look at the descriptors on the link that Poppy gave to find out what it is!
  • Opus
    cristobal said:
    @opus - you're welcome!

Example - 'bathing' you might 'assume' is having a wash, shave, washing your hair, getting dried ...

But the gospel according to PIP doesn't agree - it isn't - so you'll have to look at the descriptors on the link that Poppy gave to find out what it is!
    Ive winged it !  ready to send the form already...,theyll have to take me as i am..

....I genuinely couldnt keep thinking else i'd have a 3 day migraine aura..Actually hurts to think at times!...

• Opus
    cristobal said:
    @opus - you're welcome!

ps....if you dont mind me asking!...are you a successful recipient of a Benefit?  hence the knowledge/
  • cristobal
    @Opus

I initially got 10 points for DL and some points - can't remember - for Mobility...

I wasn't happy - not with the actual award but with the assessment report. I wanted it to be accurate and it wasn't

After a bit of faffing about DWP doubled everything (which wasn't what I wanted) and the report was corrected (which is what I did want)

A long winded way of saying Yes, I do get PIP...
  • cristobal
    @opusRegrettably for me...ive waffled!...

You wouldn't waffle if you worked with my boss - he had a zero tolerance approach!

But was a cracking bloke to work for all the same...
  • Opus
    cristobal said:
    @opusRegrettably for me...ive waffled!...

You wouldn't waffle if you worked with my boss - he had a zero tolerance approach!

But was a cracking bloke to work for all the same...
    You worked within the system? benefits?
  • cristobal
    @opus - there's no need to be rude!

Seriously - no I didn't...Prefer not to say..but it wasn't MI5.

• Opus
    cristobal said:
    @opus - there's no need to be rude!

Seriously - no I didn't...Prefer not to say..but it wasn't MI5.

Your boss left an impact!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.