Sensory problems and sex — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sensory problems and sex

songsofgallifrey
songsofgallifrey Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2019 in Autism and neurodiversity
I'm new here but I'm hoping someone can help with something I've dealt with for more than 10 years. 

I have Asperger's and I'm 28 years old, officially undiagnosed but I've been thoroughly screened by my psychiatrist and a behavioral doctor. My husband and I have been together since 2007 and we have 2 kids. Over the past year and a half that I've been in therapy I've been trying to get to the bottom of a lot of my issues including my aversion to sex. We have sex, I just pretty much only do it for him. It's not that it's particularly bad or not enjoyable, but I just rather wouldn't because it exhausts me mentally. Lately I've figured out that to me sex feels like another social skill I don't know how to navigate, plus it's overall overstimulating to the point of pain even when my husband is being patient and gentle. I struggle with driving for the same reason - too much to focus on until I can't handle it. I'm not currently on any meds except birth control and I've only been on that for about 6 months so that's not the problem. 

My question is, are there any adults here who have overcome this sensory problem and can you tell me how or what I can try? Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @songsofgallifrey and a very warm welcome to the community!

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us all. I'm glad you have been able to explore this with a therapist. 

I don't have any personal experiences of this, but here is a website that shows some ways to reduce sensory overload.

If there is anything else we can do to help, then please do let us know!
    Scope

• DAVID55
    DAVID55 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    Hi, I do understand the Social Skill issues you are having in your physical relationship. I have issues with that also, difficulties trying to work out if/when/what is required from me is very distressing. 
    The way my partner and I overcome this is by setting specific days and times. My partner will tell me what she would like to do and how. Almost like making a list of choices. This is the only way I can cope with understanding what is expected. 

I don't have any sensory issues, in fact quite the opposite. Hope the first part helps in some way. ?

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us @DAVID55

How are you doing @songsofgallifrey? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.