Should I Stay or Should I go — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I Stay or Should I go

David1963
David1963 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2019 in Work and employment

I am at the time of my life that I am wondering if I am Working to Live or Living to work, & actually I seam to be doing the latter as I have several health conditions such as Spinal Stenosis, Osteoarthritis in both of my hip's back neck & both shoulders I have High Blood Pressure, IBS, Diverticular Disease, Tinnitus & Deafness in both ears, Abnormally low Testosterone, Vertigo, Stress & now they think I might have Sleep Apnea to! Oh also forgot to mention that I tore my Bicep Tendon off on my right arm opening a self closing door.

Would I be entitled to early retirement on Ill Health grounds?

Comments

• kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    I think you probably would but will need assessments for it all unless you are on pip and esa already or incapacity. 
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    The GP might do a letter which will help you to try to get early retirement. Read stuff on the gov website about it too
  • David1963
    David1963 Community member Posts: 2 Listener

I forgot to say I have had 2 Spinal operations one Laminectomy & one decompression & my back is nearly as bad  again 14 months on! I am on that many tablets I rattle & cant take some that the doctor would like to put me on because I want to continue working & cant take any anti-inflammatory medication as I keep getting stomach bleeds!

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @David1963   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear this.  I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join the community.

Please may I suggest have a look at our Website on benefits. I would also advise need to speak to CAB.

Have expertise and knowledge on everything you might need to know. Regarding benefits plus anything else.

You have been given links to look at what is available.  From @kami24 .

I can not understand the question about the grounds for early retirement. As that is an answer I do not know.  As every person circumstances are different.

I would read all the information available on our website and the links provided. Speak to CAB. . 

Please if we can help with anything further please ask.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, sorry to read how difficult life is for you.

I retired early on ill health grounds, aged 47 ,  in 2000. I worked for the local authority. I was on the sick for a few months and sending in sick notes. Then I didnt have to send anymore in. After 6 months, worked arranged for me to see a GP of their choice and he had to decide if I was fit for the job I did..I wasnt.

Personnel came to see me at home. Told me there were no vacancies to suit me. We decided I would retire. I got a lump sum and small pension.

Then I went on ESA in the support group, until I became a state pensioner aged 62.
    Dont leave on your own accord or you`ll lose out.

Best of luck x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.