Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Choosing a mattress

piscistevepiscisteve Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone
This is my first posting. I am enquiring as to what is the general consensus re’ choosing a mattress.
Although all of the AS advise sites say, that if you suffer with AS you should have a firm mattress, I cannot lie on a firm mattress for more than 30 mins, before a nagging ache starts in my mid back.
I have always paid a considerable sum for my pocket sprung mattress. My previous somnus was 9 years old and I thought it better to make a change, purchasing a new medium mattress a few months ago. Unfortunately, I am now finding it difficult getting to sleep due to nagging back ache that occurs within a very short spell in bed and increases as the night goes on. 
Although this mattress is only 6 months old, I am prepared to buy another, but this time, I do not want to make a mistake if at all possible. 
Kind Regards Piscisteve

Replies

• Ami2301Ami2301 Community champion Posts: 7,148 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @piscisteve welcome to the community! Have you been seen or given advice by an OT?
    Community Champion
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Having very recently purchased a new mattress myself after having my previous one for 12 years :o (Yes, i know but it was the best mattress ever and i held on to it for as long as i could)

For me it was a very difficult decision and i spent weeks deciding which one to buy and visited a few different bed shops but the only way to choose a mattress is to go any lie on them yourself because we are all different. Some prefer medium, others prefer hard but for me i prefer soft. Mattress firmness goes by numbers but all shops are different. For example, benson for beds have a very different rating to dreams and for me bensons for beds are far better than dreams. Buying a mattress on the internet is something i would never dream of doing.

Which ever one you choose it will definitely take several weeks for you to get used to it. It did for me but now i love my new mattress. So go and test a few but don't fall asleep in the process ;)

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @piscisteve and a warm welcome to the community. I know my back can be VERY fussy about mattresses! I ended up getting one that was more firm than soft as I felt that gave me more support.

Like @poppy123456 said, it's definitely something you'd need to go try out. Please do let us know how you get on! :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • pollyanna1052pollyanna1052 Member Posts: 1,999 Disability Gamechanger
    I hate my mattress! I have had sooo many....from the social services, as advised by district nurses....must be 7 from them...I am at risk of pressure sores..........yet when I go on holiday, their mattresses are always great.

Tried to find the same and bought one...no...too hard.....

hope you make a successful purchase.xx
Sign in or join us to comment.