Choosing a mattress — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Choosing a mattress

Options
piscisteve
piscisteve Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone
This is my first posting. I am enquiring as to what is the general consensus re’ choosing a mattress.
Although all of the AS advise sites say, that if you suffer with AS you should have a firm mattress, I cannot lie on a firm mattress for more than 30 mins, before a nagging ache starts in my mid back.
I have always paid a considerable sum for my pocket sprung mattress. My previous somnus was 9 years old and I thought it better to make a change, purchasing a new medium mattress a few months ago. Unfortunately, I am now finding it difficult getting to sleep due to nagging back ache that occurs within a very short spell in bed and increases as the night goes on. 
Although this mattress is only 6 months old, I am prepared to buy another, but this time, I do not want to make a mistake if at all possible. 
Kind Regards Piscisteve

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @piscisteve welcome to the community! Have you been seen or given advice by an OT?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Having very recently purchased a new mattress myself after having my previous one for 12 years :o (Yes, i know but it was the best mattress ever and i held on to it for as long as i could)

For me it was a very difficult decision and i spent weeks deciding which one to buy and visited a few different bed shops but the only way to choose a mattress is to go any lie on them yourself because we are all different. Some prefer medium, others prefer hard but for me i prefer soft. Mattress firmness goes by numbers but all shops are different. For example, benson for beds have a very different rating to dreams and for me bensons for beds are far better than dreams. Buying a mattress on the internet is something i would never dream of doing.

Which ever one you choose it will definitely take several weeks for you to get used to it. It did for me but now i love my new mattress. So go and test a few but don't fall asleep in the process ;)

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @piscisteve and a warm welcome to the community. I know my back can be VERY fussy about mattresses! I ended up getting one that was more firm than soft as I felt that gave me more support.

Like @poppy123456 said, it's definitely something you'd need to go try out. Please do let us know how you get on! :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hate my mattress! I have had sooo many....from the social services, as advised by district nurses....must be 7 from them...I am at risk of pressure sores..........yet when I go on holiday, their mattresses are always great.

Tried to find the same and bought one...no...too hard.....

hope you make a successful purchase.xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.