Choosing a mattress — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Choosing a mattress

Options
piscisteve
piscisteve Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello everyone
This is my first posting. I am enquiring as to what is the general consensus re’ choosing a mattress.
Although all of the AS advise sites say, that if you suffer with AS you should have a firm mattress, I cannot lie on a firm mattress for more than 30 mins, before a nagging ache starts in my mid back.
I have always paid a considerable sum for my pocket sprung mattress. My previous somnus was 9 years old and I thought it better to make a change, purchasing a new medium mattress a few months ago. Unfortunately, I am now finding it difficult getting to sleep due to nagging back ache that occurs within a very short spell in bed and increases as the night goes on. 
Although this mattress is only 6 months old, I am prepared to buy another, but this time, I do not want to make a mistake if at all possible. 
Kind Regards Piscisteve

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @piscisteve welcome to the community! Have you been seen or given advice by an OT?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Having very recently purchased a new mattress myself after having my previous one for 12 years :o (Yes, i know but it was the best mattress ever and i held on to it for as long as i could)

For me it was a very difficult decision and i spent weeks deciding which one to buy and visited a few different bed shops but the only way to choose a mattress is to go any lie on them yourself because we are all different. Some prefer medium, others prefer hard but for me i prefer soft. Mattress firmness goes by numbers but all shops are different. For example, benson for beds have a very different rating to dreams and for me bensons for beds are far better than dreams. Buying a mattress on the internet is something i would never dream of doing.

Which ever one you choose it will definitely take several weeks for you to get used to it. It did for me but now i love my new mattress. So go and test a few but don't fall asleep in the process ;)

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @piscisteve and a warm welcome to the community. I know my back can be VERY fussy about mattresses! I ended up getting one that was more firm than soft as I felt that gave me more support.

Like @poppy123456 said, it's definitely something you'd need to go try out. Please do let us know how you get on! :)
    Scope

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hate my mattress! I have had sooo many....from the social services, as advised by district nurses....must be 7 from them...I am at risk of pressure sores..........yet when I go on holiday, their mattresses are always great.

Tried to find the same and bought one...no...too hard.....

hope you make a successful purchase.xx

Brightness