Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Wheelchair VS buggy on a bus
I just got declined entrance onto a bus by a first bus driver. The reason was a pram. Which wasn’t even in use. The woman had her children on her lap but the pram was in the wheelchair space and the driver refused to even ask her to move. He drove off whilst I was talking to him. I have never felt more degraded or victimised because of my disability. My wheelchair is something I’ve only just felt safe and comfortable in. I’m humiliated. I told him about the fact I had a right to the space and he just ignored that I was speaking like I was nothing.
I posted this on my Twitter 2 days ago and have received over 300 likes and 140 retweets. I never realised that this was a regular occurrence. In the last few days I have spoken to Doug Pauley who took first to the Supreme Court in 2017 and won. I wish to bring forward a similar case as it is obvious nothing has changed since his victory. Please let me know your opinions on what happened and if any of you have advice or contacts that could help me with my case I would really appreciate you getting in touch.
- 55.3K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 838 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 269 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 705 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 774 Autism and neurodiversity
- 952 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments