Help please. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Help please.

westwellgoddard Member Posts: 19 Listener
edited August 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
I was claiming Universal credit from March I was put in remand prison for 2 weeks from 17th July to 29th and come out ( not guilty ) they stopped my UC. I got back onto them they said if I can get release papers they’ll unsuspend my account and issue payments. I’ve been Jobcentre today and they’ve told me that because I now get PIP enhanced daily living no mobility that my WCA means nothing because I won’t get extra LCWRA? Basically saying I’ll only get £250 a month because I get PIP regardless of the assessment outcome they’ll just work out if I need help or not finding work. Sorry if it’s muddled up I have autism oh and I can’t get the release papers cos the prisons to far so she emailed my benefit manager what happens do I stick on that usual 250 a month even if I’m found not fit for no work?


  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @westwellgoddard,

    Getting PIP should not stop you getting the LCWRA element. They are two completely separate things. 
    Were you in the LCWRA group before the benefit was suspended? If so, it should go back into payment.
    If not, you need to ask for a WCA so that you can be put in there.
    PIP is a non-means tested benefit and will not affect the amount of UC you get. The standard rate for a person under 25 is £251.77 per month. For someone aged over 25, it is 317.82.
    If you are found not fit for work and placed in the LCWRA group, you should get an extra £336.20 per month. This would not be reduced because you have PIP.
    I hope that makes sense. Please get back in touch if you have any more questions.
    I hope it all gets sorted quickly for you.  :)
  • westwellgoddard
    westwellgoddard Member Posts: 19 Listener
    Thanks so much I understand and thought that was the case. I’m still waiting for the outcome sent the form back months ago so don’t know what the hold up is as it’s only been a 2 week break window and they won’t tell me nothing?
  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    How frustrating!
    I guess all you can do it keep chasing it up.
    Are you following it up online or have you rung the helpline number? 0800 328 5644
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,374 Disability Gamechanger
    Once the decision is made on the work capability assessment if the decision is just LCW and your claim started after April 2017 then you won't receive any extra money.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.