Moving house , what if i lost my SDP , and Bedroom tax. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Moving house , what if i lost my SDP , and Bedroom tax.

needhelp2019 Member Posts: 23 Listener
Hi everybody, i have a little question i need answering if possible.

Im hoping to move into a new hose , the rent will be £450 per month, and my shortfall will be £56 . plus the dreaded bedroom tax.

Is the bedroom tax £14 a week. if that be the case then my shortfall will be £112 a month, (Bloody ridiculous , the bedroom tax)

Is there ayn exeption from the bedroom tax, what if i have a private carer staying over but they are not paid by Carers allowence. even though i get the SDP, does this count..

And what is the bedroom tax rate???
Not sure if thats right @ £14 per week though, eitherway its not right to have to pay a bedroom tax, what a joke.

Also. i claim a SDP so i can claim HB without any UC claim being necessery.

But what if i was to loose my SDP in the future , how would this effect me, Would i have to go onto UC to get rent paid or would HB continue to be paid as long as i was getting ESA ect.

If i went onto UC what rent would be paid ect. And what benefit would i get in replace of my ESA , iv been claiming for years without any breaks. pre 2007 or 2017.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,452 Disability Gamechanger

    Bedroom tax only applies to those in renting from housing association/council. Usually when you rent from these your housing benefit covers your rent because the rent is always lower but then you have a deduction if you have any spare bedrooms.

    If you're renting from a private landlord then the bedroom tax doesn't apply. Who will you be renting from?

    As previously advised, you won't be able to claim UC because you claim SDP and these rules are in place until January 2021.

    If you lose the SDP in future, you'll stay on housing benefit/ESA unless a change of circumstances prompts a move until managed migration starts. When it does then you'll be invited to apply for UC but this could be a few years away.

    My advice would be to speak to a local advice agency near you for a benefits check or pop your details into a benefits calculator.
  • needhelp2019
    needhelp2019 Member Posts: 23 Listener
    edited August 2019
    Private renting, OMG all this time i though i had to pay a bedroom tax if i rent private too.. well il be bloiwn.

    And uif i lost my SDP id stay on HB too.

    Well thats it then iv made my mind up, im moving into that house lol

    Thank you poppy.

    P.S i did the benefits calculator you gave me the link to and i would get a £90.90 per week rent.

    SO im good for £400 like you say. The house im interested in is in the right area i checked on the calculator and it is for £450 a month and has 2 bedrooms.

    I was seriously concerned about the rent shortfall being to much because of the bedroom tax, i did not know that private rents are exempt from the bedroom tax. im shocked, but very pleased at the same time.

    I could of moved ages ago.

    Your a legend poppy, thank you.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,452 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome, i'm glad i could help.

    Bedroom tax has never applied to those privately renting. Happy to know you were able to find a landlord that accepts housing benefit tenants because that's not easy to do in a lot of areas. Good luck with the house move.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad this was able to be sorted! 

    Best of luck with the move @needhelp2019! Please do let us know how you get on. :)


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.