PIP ASSESSMENT/TRANSCRIPT — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP ASSESSMENT/TRANSCRIPT

John_Durkin1964
John_Durkin1964 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hello, I just wanted to get some thoughts on my recent PIP assessment. I've had previous assessments over the years and ATOS and CAPITA have carried them out using assessors which are neither qualified or able to overule Consultants or GP's.  Because they have a history of underhand tactics and lying on their reports, I made a covert recording of my recent PIPs assessment. They have only scored me a few points and at least 70% of their report is made up of untruths and errors. I used a prompt sheet at the assessment due to my poor memory, but they failed to register my replies to many questions and scored me 0 points for most. I know recordings are illegal, but I was wondering if it's advisable to make a transcript of the recording and send it to the tribunal panel as extra evidence?

Many thanks in advance, and all thoughts and responses are appreciated. 

Comments

• cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2019
    @John_Durkin1964....I recorded my assessment and my claim, fortunately, didn't get as far as a tribunal.

I think you would be best concentrating on why you should be given PIP, and the difficulties you have carrying out daily tasks set out in the PIP 'descriptors'. Pointing out that the assessor lied, or was mistaken won't achieve this - the evidence that you send will.

Others may have a different view but I can't imagine that a tribunal panel would want to read a transcript/ listen to a recording of an assessment interview, regardless of whether or not it is 'admissible'. They'll be more interested in facts..

As I said above I'd advise you to look at the PIP descriptors and the DWP guidance and give further examples of the difficulties that you face.

Don't give up; good luck!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You won't be able to use it because you covertly recorded the assessment. Using that could cause all sorts of problems because to record an assessment you really need to ring the health assessment providers before the assessment and tell them you're recording it. You must then use the appropriate recording equipment and record 2 identical copies and hand 1 in at the end of the assessment.

I agree with @cristobal here, who's given good advice, as always! you really should be concentrating on where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Adding a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

They won't be interested in any lies that may have been told in the report or anywhere else and they won't appreciate you mentioning any of them.  It's facts they'll be interested in and nothing else. They will see any lies for their self when they see the report, if you have evidence to prove how your conditions affect you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @John_Durkin1964,  the accessors do not and never over rule a doctors, consultants diagnosis. The job, role of the HP at your assessment is to access your abilities in relation to the PIP descriptors in a safe, repeatable and in a timely manner. As for recording your assessment that is not allowed and will not be accepted at any tribunal hearing.
  • John_Durkin1964
    Thank you for all your replies and I won't do anything foolish that may go against me. I've sent a mandatory reconsideration letter off this morning & I'll just keep the recording for personal use. I did mention in my letter, that certain points were omitted or incorrect whithout using any strong undertones. I'm lucky as I've submitted more evidence and still awaiting on test results too. I used to be a medical secretary in my youth at a large hospital, so I'll concentrate on backing up the descriptors with medical results and reports. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @John_Durkin1964! I hope it goes well and please do keep us updated. :)
    Scope

• John_Durkin1964
    edited August 2019
    Thank you Chloe & I've sent off my mandatory reconsideration letter. If it's anything like last time they will flatly refuse and it will take 12 months to take to tribunal. I'm positive though & did mention to them that their assessments are based on data input, whereas mine is based on medical reports and evidence & personal experience. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you don't have to take it to tribunal @John_Durkin1964, but we are here to help you with the process if this is the case. :)
    Scope

• John_Durkin1964
    I've so far had to represent myself as the local advocay services are understaffed and the demand is too high. I've been dropped a time or two from local services. If I get a reply back in the next couple of week, I'll let you know how I got on. Thank you. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.