Pip in hospital — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Pip in hospital

patchy Member Posts: 1 Listener
my 34 year old son is in a ICU mental hospital and been there for 2 years, his pip stopped as expected but for the last 6 months he has not eaten the hospital food due to his mental condition. We are supplying him with food. Can he get some of his pip re instated? 


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @patchy   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for sharing and joining.

    Sorry to hear this.  

    I am one of the team of community champions. We guide, advise and help new members who join.

    In response to your question I am not too sure of an answer.

    There will be members of our community or a member of our team be able to advise.

    Hopefully be in touch.

    Benefits are complex and confusing you need the right information.

    Please have you spoken to CAB.  Your local office might be able to answer.

    Please is there any thing we can help with please get in touch.

    Happy to help and be supportive ready to listen.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,497 Disability Gamechanger

    Im sorry to hear this. I'm afraid because he's been in hospital for more than 28 days then he won't be entitled to receive any PIP payments.

  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,449 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes poppy is right no payments are made for PIP once you have a stay in hospital of 28 days or longer, and should you not inform DWP of an over stay of 28 days any overpayment of your PIP benefits will have to be repaid. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @patchy and a very warm welcome to the community!

    To agree with the others, PIP isn't awarded in this case. However, I understand the financial strain this will cause. Please have a look at the grant checker which may provide more information.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.