universal credit closed my case — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

universal credit closed my case

stevvieboi Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi everyone looking for some advice in January i took unwell with a fungus infection in my chest, was hospitalised for 2 months fighting for my life, then at the same time finding out i had cancer so then had to start chemotherapy, my weight dropping from 10.5 stone down to 6, i suffered muscle loss and was confined to a wheelchair for about 3 months, my health has improved, but i still do suffer from muscle loss and weakness, before all this i was almost 2 years into setting my own business up, since March i have being trying to get help from the dwp, twice now they have closed my claim, the most recent yesterday, with again no explanation as to why, all tasks were up to date, i had an appointment with my work coach yesterday at 3.50, but the appointment was cancelled at 11.53 because my claim had being closed, i have had no money since January, selling my car in order to live, had problem with my teeth and thought i would get help for that, the dentist has now come back saying i now have a bill to pay as i am not on universal credit, i can't leave a message on my journal because the claim is closed, i am at a lost end the whole process of this, and the time it has taken so far to get to here, and again for it to be closed, i now have to start the process all over again, and no idea how long this process again will take, i am so stressed out with it all, it has now started affecting my health again, i am off food, have lost weight again, and losing the will to live, how hard is it to get any help, just need some help until i am back on my feet and can get back to work, am sitting here thinking maybe i should just go out onto the streets begging, my partner themselves has just set up in business also and not able to take a wage from it as yet, and jobseekers allowance i would not get due to myself setting up in business and not earning enough to pay NI in the last 2 years any advice would be greatly appreciated 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,425 Disability Gamechanger

    You say you have a partner, do you live with the partner? If so did you claim as a couple? UC is a means tested benefit so you need to claim as a couple.

    Did you both attend your first appointment at your local job centre to confirm Identity? If so has there been any wages received at all during an assessment period? If wages have been received and your UC payment is reduced to zero then your claim will be closed.
  • stevvieboi
    stevvieboi Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi thanks for the reply, yeah have claimed as a couple, have both attended interviews, been told of dates of payment, then appointments being cancelled, and no payments made then closed, as yet have received nothing 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,425 Disability Gamechanger
    If you've both done everything you should have done on your journal and there's no income become received during your assessment period then i have no idea why this is happening. All i can advise is you ring UC and ask why they keep closing your claim.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stevvieboi and a warm welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear about your time in hospital and that they have closed your UC claim. I imagine this is very stressful! I hope ringing up will give you more answers. Please do keep us updated and let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. :)

  • Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Hi @stevvieboi
    I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a difficult time.
    You said in your original post that you have been going through cancer treatment. Is there a cancer information centre in, or attached to your local hospital? Sometimes they can provide face to face support with financial problems and benefits.
    You could also ask at the hospital about Macmillan grants. They are not a long term solution, but might be able to give you some short term support.
    I hope you manage to get to the bottom of the issues with your UC soon.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.