Direct Payments for Social Care support — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Direct Payments for Social Care support

questions Member Posts: 1 Listener

Hello Everyone,

I'd really appreciate some personal experience on what Social Care would like grant/agree to in terms of Section 17 Child's Plan support services for a disabled 6 year old Autistic Boy (we have been granted a Child's plan). We would like to have some respite care and also some support in him going out to some fun/development activities.

Also, how many hours per week is normally granted?



  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,869 Member
    edited September 2019
    Hello @questions!

    This is different from area to area. We are currently on the waiting list for Surrey Council social services team to visit my flat to carry out a carer's assessment so that my son can meet other kids his own age at weekends and be entitled to useful home adaptations that will allow him to remain independent as well. He is going to be 3 in November. What do you think your son needs? 
    For more information please read this leaflet
    Some examples of services that could be offered are:
    Equipment designed for the disabled person to use at home
    Trips to leisure centers etc
    Home adaptations for people with physical impairments to allow them to be independent as much as possible
    Travel training. This includes trips by bus and so on. 
    Practical assistance with tasks at home like cooking or cleaning for example. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,886 Disability Gamechanger

    How many hours given will depend on the care needed. Everyone is different because it also depends on needs.

    My daughter receives 8 hours of support each week, fully paid for by Direct Payments. There's also extra money in her budget for the past 2 years for respite which is separate to the care needs.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 8,193

    Scope community team

    Hi @questions and a warm welcome to the community. How are you getting on?

    It might be worth you giving our free helpline a call on 0808 800 3333, it's open 8am-8pm Monday-Saturday. 
    Community Manager

    Tell us how to make the community better for you. Complete our feedback form.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.