Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

ESA automatically changing me to higher rate when getting PIP

Is it normal for DWP to change me to higher rate of ESA once i begin receiving PIP? will they also take my PIP back pay as income?
Thanks

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A PIP claim will not automatically entitle you to be placed into the Support Group, if that's what you mean.

If you're talking about the Sever disability premium that's payable then claiming this will depend on your circumstances and which ESA you claim. If you're claiming the New Style ESA then there's no premiums paid on this.

If you're claiming the old ESA Income Related then you need a daily living award of PIP, you must live alone or be classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

PIP isn't means tested and won't be classed as income. Any backpay you receive is disregarded for 1 year for all means tested benefits.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • minx88xminx88x Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Ok,
    Thankyou for replying :)
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing Team, Community Team Posts: 7,949 Scope community team
    Hello @minx88x and welcome to the community. I'm glad Poppy was able to help you with this. Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
Sign in or join us to comment.