ESA automatically changing me to higher rate when getting PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA automatically changing me to higher rate when getting PIP

minx88x
minx88x Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Is it normal for DWP to change me to higher rate of ESA once i begin receiving PIP? will they also take my PIP back pay as income?
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A PIP claim will not automatically entitle you to be placed into the Support Group, if that's what you mean.

If you're talking about the Sever disability premium that's payable then claiming this will depend on your circumstances and which ESA you claim. If you're claiming the New Style ESA then there's no premiums paid on this.

If you're claiming the old ESA Income Related then you need a daily living award of PIP, you must live alone or be classed as living alone and no one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

PIP isn't means tested and won't be classed as income. Any backpay you receive is disregarded for 1 year for all means tested benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • minx88x
    minx88x Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Ok,
    Thankyou for replying :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @minx88x and welcome to the community. I'm glad Poppy was able to help you with this. Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.