What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Bedroom tax

geordie12geordie12 Member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I'm disabled with numerous health problems including back problems and sleep apnoea etc I'm on highest rate pip and motability and on ESA  my partner is my full time carer and we have to sleep in separate rooms because if my health problems I was told today because of my health I should inform the council we sleep  seperatly as It should lower my bedroom tax I pay he can't sleep because I'm up and down all night for the pain and the noise from my sleep machine is this true and what do I do it's too the point that some of his clothes are even in the room so he doesn't disturb me when he gets up any info would be grateful many thanks  


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    It maybe possible yes but you'll need to explain why you can't share a room. Do be aware that it may not be easy to claim this.

    This is copied from the above link....

    You should therefore demonstrate to the local council that you and your partner are unable to share a bedroom due to health reasons. You should do this by providing evidence that the relevant disability benefit is in payment (ie a benefit award letter) and by providing evidence that you are not reasonably able to share a bedroom, such as supporting information from medical or social care professionals, details of what would happen if you had to share a bedroom etc.

    It is important to explain exactly why you are unable to share a bedroom, as opposed to just sharing a bed. This is because if there is enough space in the bedroom for two separate beds, the local council may say that you do not need an additional bedroom because you can technically share a bedroom even if you can't share a bed (you would just need another bed). Therefore, be very clear as to why it is a bedroom you are unable to share (ie you are unable to share a bed and the bedroom isn’t big enough for two beds, or there is too much health related equipment in the bedroom to allow room for another bed, or if the reasons why you are unable to share are not due to space and are instead due to environmental reasons such as a compromised immune system).

    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 7,924

    Scope community team

    Hi @geordie12, I hope Poppy's reply has been useful to you. It is quite common for them to allow an extra bedroom for this reason so hopefully there won't be a problem. Please let us know how you get on. :)
    Senior Community Partner

    Your feedback is really important to the development of the online community, so please remember to complete our online community annual survey
Sign in or join us to comment.