Bedroom tax — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bedroom tax

geordie12
geordie12 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hi I'm disabled with numerous health problems including back problems and sleep apnoea etc I'm on highest rate pip and motability and on ESA  my partner is my full time carer and we have to sleep in separate rooms because if my health problems I was told today because of my health I should inform the council we sleep  seperatly as It should lower my bedroom tax I pay he can't sleep because I'm up and down all night for the pain and the noise from my sleep machine is this true and what do I do it's too the point that some of his clothes are even in the room so he doesn't disturb me when he gets up any info would be grateful many thanks  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It maybe possible yes but you'll need to explain why you can't share a room. Do be aware that it may not be easy to claim this.

This is copied from the above link....

You should therefore demonstrate to the local council that you and your partner are unable to share a bedroom due to health reasons. You should do this by providing evidence that the relevant disability benefit is in payment (ie a benefit award letter) and by providing evidence that you are not reasonably able to share a bedroom, such as supporting information from medical or social care professionals, details of what would happen if you had to share a bedroom etc.

It is important to explain exactly why you are unable to share a bedroom, as opposed to just sharing a bed. This is because if there is enough space in the bedroom for two separate beds, the local council may say that you do not need an additional bedroom because you can technically share a bedroom even if you can't share a bed (you would just need another bed). Therefore, be very clear as to why it is a bedroom you are unable to share (ie you are unable to share a bed and the bedroom isn’t big enough for two beds, or there is too much health related equipment in the bedroom to allow room for another bed, or if the reasons why you are unable to share are not due to space and are instead due to environmental reasons such as a compromised immune system).

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    Hi @geordie12, I hope Poppy's reply has been useful to you. It is quite common for them to allow an extra bedroom for this reason so hopefully there won't be a problem. Please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.