Working and ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working and ESA

Hello -
I have a job interview for a position that is 12 hours per week and less than the £131.50 per week permitted by DWP and so I should be able to accept the role if I am successful at interview. However..... I have two queries: 
1) how do I know what is 'permitted' work? It's as a 111 out of hours call handler for IC24.
2) although the contract will be for 12 hours per week there is a 3 week training period which will be paid and 9-5 Monday to Friday.
Is a fixed training period taken into account when starting work and remaining on ESA? I will not be on full-time wages/hours for more than the 3 weeks.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you all!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Permitted work can be any work but you need to get permission from DWP before starting work.

I'm afraid that any hours you work that are 16 hours or more per week then you won't be entitled to any ESA for those weeks and your ESA will stop. Whether or not you'll be able to continue claiming ESA after those 3 weeks then i'm not really sure because your claim may close because of the hours you're working, even though it's training, you're still working and being paid full time hours.

Also do be aware that if any work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you could be assessed early and the work may go against you when a decision's made on your assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.